Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1887, No. 1

[No. 80.—Petition of Rore Pukekohatu and 24 Others.]

No. 80.—Petition of Rore Pukekohatu and 24 Others.

Petitioners pray that a certain piece of land at Motueka, which was vested in the Bishop of Nelson for the purpose of a school-site, may be returned to them, as it has been lying vacant for many years, and is not used for the purpose for which it was intended.

I am directed to report as follows: That on the 30th October, 1884, the Committee reported as follows upon a similar petition: "The Committee is of opinion that the condition of the trust has not been fulfilled, and that steps should be taken by the Government, either by an action in the Supreme Court or by legislation, to restore the piece of land in question to the condition of an ordinary Native reserve under the management of the Public Trustee." As regards that part of the grant made out of Crown lands, the Committee consider it should revert to the Crown. On the 2nd June, 1886, the Committee again had the subject before it, but as Government had introduced a Bill dealing with it, the Committee simply referred to the report made in 1884. The Bill referred to did not become law, so nothing has been done towards settling the question at issue. The Committee would again press upon the Government the necessity for taking action towards the redress of what seems to be a serious grievance. If no legislation be possible this session, then it is suggested that the Commissioner now acting in the Middle Island should be asked to report upon the case.

25th May, 1887.
page 4

[Translation.]
No. 80.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rore Pukekohatu me etahi atu e 24.

E Inoi ana nga kai-pitihana mo tetahi piihi whenua i Motueka i tukuna kia te Pihopa o Whakatu hei painga mo te kura kia whakahokia kia ratou notemea kua maha nga tau e takoto kau ana a kahore i te mahia mo nga tikanga i tukuna atu ai.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: I te 30 o nga ra o Oketopa, 1884, ka tukuna e te Komiti enei korero i runga ano i tetahi pitihana penei: E whakaaro ana te Komiti kihai i whakatuturutia te whakahaere o taua whenua, a me tahuri te Kawanatanga ki te whakahaere i tetahi tikanga ma roto ranei i te Kooti Hupirimi, me hanga ranei i tetahi Ture hei tuku i tana whenua i ranga i nga tikanga o tetahi rahui Maori noa nei i raro i te whakahaere a te Kaitiaki mo Te Tokomaha mo runga mo tera wahi o te karaati i whakaritea i roto i nga whenua o te Karauna. Ki te whakaaro o te Komiti me hoki tenei wahi ki te Karauna. I te 2 o nga ra o Hune, 1886, ka tae mai ano taua take ki te Aroaro o te Komiti. Otira kua kokirihia tetahi Pire e tetahi Kawanatanga hei whakahaere i taua take, na heoi nga kupu i puta i te Komiti ko te whakaatu i te ripoata i puta i te tau 1884. Erangi ko te Pire e whakahuatia nei kihai paahi hei Ture heoi kahore tetahi mea i mahia i muri iho hei whakatau i taua take. Erangi ka tohe ano te Komiti ki te Kawanatanga kia tahuri ratou ki te whakahaera i tetahi tikanga e tau ai he ora i runga i tenei mea e whakaarohia nei he mate nui. A ki te kore e taea te hanga i tetahi Ture i tenei Paremete, e whakaarohia ana me tono te Komihana e mahi mai nei i te Waipounamu kia tukuna tetahi ripoata mo runga i taua kehi.

25 o Mei, 1887.