Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1887, No. 1

[No, 12.—Petition of Hone Mohi Tawhai.]

page 1

No, 12.—Petition of Hone Mohi Tawhai.

Petitioner states that a piece of land at Waima, in Hokianga, called Te Rurunga, containing twenty acres, and other pieces of smaller area, were set aside as reserves for the Natives and halfcastes belonging to the Mahurehure and Ngatihau tribes, on the condition that the Government could resume possession of the land whenever they wished. He prays that the Government restrictions over those lands may now be withdrawn, as the said lands have been cultivated by the holders thereof.

I am directed to report as follows: That the Committee does not see any reason to interfere at present with the temporary reserves referred to in the petition.

[Translation.]
No. 12.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hone Mohi Tawhai.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana ko tetahi pihi whenua i Waima, Hokianga, e karangatia nei ko Te Rurunga ko te rahi i te ruritanga e 20 eka me etahi atu pihi ririki i wehea hei rahui mo nga Maori me nga hawhekaihe o nga iwi o te Mahurehure me Ngatihau i ranga i be tikanga tera te Kawanatanga e tango mai i aua whenua ina hiahiatia e ratou. E inoi ana ia kia unuhia e te Kawanatanga aua here inaianei i runga i aua whenua notemea kua ngakia aua whenua e nga tangata e pupuri ana i aua whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: Kahore te Komiti e ki te i te take e tahuri ai ratou inaianei ki te rahurahu atu ki nga rahui pera e whakahuatia nei i roto i te pitihana.

13 o Mei, 1887.