Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1885.

[No. 157.—Petition of Tamati Ngaheke.]

No. 157.—Petition of Tamati Ngaheke.

Petitioner prays that he may be allowed to sell twenty-five acres of land which he received on account of military services, but which, according to the present law, is inalienable. He also asks that he may be reimbursed the money he has lost in trying to dispose of the land.

I am directed to report as follows: That the Committee, having been informed that the Government is now willing to purchase the military-settlement land of the Native contingent, it has only to say that this step is approved of, though the simpler plan seems to be to remove the restrictions to alienation, and let the owners sell in open market.

25th August, 1885.

[Translation.]
No. 157.—Pukapuka-inoi a Tamati Ngaheke.

E inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia tukuna kia hokona e ia tetahi pihi whenua e 25 eka he whenua i homai mana mo tana mahi hoia. Erangi i runga i ta te Ture o naianei ekore e taea te wewete te here. E inoi ana hokii ia kia tukua tetahi moni mana mo ana moni i ngaro i tana whakahaerenga hoko i taua whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: No te mea kua rongo te Komiti kei te hiahia te kawanatanga inaianei ki te hoko i nga whenua i hoatu ki nga Maori mo ta ratou mahi hoia, heoi te kupu e pai ana tenei tikanga otiri ko te huarahi ngawari ko te unu i nga here kia taea ai te hoko, kia ahei ai nga tangata ki te hoko ki ta ratou tangata e pai ai.

25 o Akuhata, 1885.