Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1885.

[No. 45.—Petition of Epiha Karoro (No. 2).]

No. 45.—Petition of Epiha Karoro (No. 2).

Praying that certain lands belonging to Ngatirahiri Tribe may be held over from sale by the Government, pending an inquiry into the justice of their case. They ask that an inquiry may now be made.

Petition No. 5.—Epiha Karoro (No. 1).

Petitioner states that some time ago the Government took a portion of a block of land situated in the Waitara Survey District, known as the Waihi Block, and which belonged to their tribe. The Government afterwards took another portion of the same block for the purpose of making a road through the district. They offered the tribe compensation for the land they had taken, but the tribe considered the amount too small and refused it. They now pray that the House will grant them a fair compensation for the land so taken.

These two petitions to a certain extent traverse the same ground.

The Committee reports as follows: (1.) The Public Trustee acted within his legal rights in offering part of the Waihi Block on lease. He seems to have reserved a sufficiency of land for Native residence and cultivation. (2.) There was a promise of £500 for land taken for a road between Waitara and Urenui, but the Natives hitherto refused to take the amount. They seem now willing to receive it. There seems to be doubt as to whether a portion has been paid, or at least spent for the benefit of the claimants. The Committee recommends that Government should look into this, and act promptly in having the case settled by paying the balance. Sir William Fox, as West Coast Commissioner, recommended that £4,000 should be granted for the Tikorangi Block taken for a military settlement, the amount not to be paid in money, but to be spent in fencing, &c., for the benefit of the Natives. The Committee has been informed that the Government is now carrying out this recommendation of Sir William Fox.

3rd July, 1885.
page 3

[Translation.]
No. 45.—Pukapuka-inoi a Epiha Karoro (Nama 2).

E Inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia kaua e hokona e te Kawanatanga tetahi whenua kia pataia ra no nga take o ta ratou kehi.

Pitihana No. 5, Pukapuka-inoi a Epiha Karoro (Nama 1).

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i tangohia e te Kawanatanga i to ratou iwi i mua tetahi wahi o tetahi Poraka whenua e takoto ana i Waitara e karangatia ana ko te Waiari Poraka, i muri iho ka tangohia ano tetahi wahi o te Poraka kia ahei ai ratou te whakatakoto i tetahi rori i runga i taua Takiwa, i mea te Kawanatanga kia hoatu tetahi moni mo te whenua i tangohia e ratou, Otira i mahara taua iwi he iti rawa heoi kihai i tangohia, e tono ana ratou inaianei, kia hoatu he utu tika mo taua whenua i tangohia ra.

E ahua rite tahi ano nga korero o enei pitihana.

E penei ana te whakatau a te Komiti. Ko te hokonga o te riihi o te Waiari Poraka e te kai Tiaki o te tokomaka i tika tonu i runga i te ture a kua rahuitia etahi wahi i whakaarohia e nui ana hei kainga hei nohoanga mo nga Maori. I puta ano tetahi kupu hoatu i nga moni e £500 mo te whenua i tangohia mo tetahi huarahi i waenganui o Waitara o Urenui, erangi kihai i pai nga Maori ki te tango i au moni. Inaianei kua pai ratou ki te tanga. Otira e ruarua ana te whakaaro mehemea kahore ranei i utua tetahi wahi o aua moni kua tukua ranei hei oranga mo nga kai tono. E tono ana te Komiti kia whakaarohia tenei mea e te Kawanatanga kia hohoro hoki ta ratou whakarite i nga toenga o enei moni. I tono a Ta Wiremu Pokiha kia utua nga moni e £4,000 hei whakarite mo te whenua i tangohia, hei kainga whakanoho hoia mo Tikorangi ko aua moni me whakaputu i runga i te hanga taiepa hei kainga mo nga Maori. Kua rongo hoki te Komiti kei te whakahaerea e te Kawanatanga te tono a Ta Wiremu Pokiha.

3 o Hurae, 1885.