Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1885.

[No. 141, Sess. II., 1884.—Petition of Henry Casaubon (No. 2).]

No. 141, Sess. II., 1884.—Petition of Henry Casaubon (No. 2).

Petitioner states that in 1867 he bought certain land from the Government and paid for it. He built a house and lived there some time, when it was found that the land he had was other than that which the Government thought it was. He was given other land, and eventually the former place was given to the Natives, who claimed his house as well. He prays for relief.

I am directed to report as follows: That the Committee considers that the Government ought to make further inquiry as to the origin of the mistake. If the fault has lain with the petitioner there should be no compensation, but if with Government officers, then consideration should be given as to the justice of the claim.

10th July, 1885.

[Translation.]
No. 141, Seas. II., 1884.—Pukapuka-inoi a Henare Kahiapana (Nama 2.).

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i hokona e ia tetahi whenua i te Kawanatanga i te tau 1867 i utua ano hoki e ia nga moni—i whakaturia e ia tetahi whare i noho i reira mo tetahi wa, ka tahi ka kitea ko te whenua iaia he whenua ke i ta te Kawanatanga i whakaaro ai—heoi hoatu ana tetahi whenua ke atu mana ko te whenua tuatahi iaia i hoatu ma nga Maori—e tono ana hoki ki tona whare. E tono ana ki tetahi ora mona.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei: E whakaaro ana te Komiti ko te mea tika me patai ano e te Kawanatanga te take o tenei he—mehemea no te kai-pitihana te he kahore e tika kia utua mehemea no nga Apiha o te Kawanatanga, me whakaaroaro te tika o tana tono.

10 o Hurae, 1885.