Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1884, No. 2.

[No. 179, Sess. II.—Petition of Arundell and Ross and Others.]

No. 179, Sess. II.—Petition of Arundell and Ross and Others.

Petitioners state that they are leaseholders of Native reserves in the West Coast confiscated territory. They say that the West Coast Commissioner informed them that he would recommend their leases for confirmation, subject to certified plans being indorsed.

They pray that their leases may be confirmed, subject to the condition aforesaid, and also that they be granted valuation for improvements, and, as far as possible, that their leases may contain the same conditions as those granted by the Public Trustee.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, as the leases in question appear to be equitable, the Committee recommends that they be confirmed when the plans have been put in the deeds as required by law.

The question of renewal of the leases mentioned in this petition is of peculiar difficulty; but the Committee considers that it might be disposed of, to the advantage of both the lessees and the Natives, by the surrender of such existing leases as were made prior to 1879, and giving in exchange new leases under the West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, at rents to be computed upon the present improved value of the land. This would give the Natives at once the full yearly value of the land, and would leave the lessees free to continue to improve the freehold.

In any renewal to be made under this recommendation the West Coast Commissioner should be most careful to observe the conditions of clause 8 of "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1881," in reference to acting in concert with the Native owners.

21st October, 1884.

[Translation.]
No. 179, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Aranera me Rohi me etahi atu.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana he kai riihi ratou no etahi whenua Rahui i te Tai Hauauru takiwa rau patu e ki ana ratou i ki mai nga Komihana o te Tai Hauauru ka whakahaua e ratou kia whakamana a ratou riihi me tuhituhi rawa ia te Tiwhikete whakamana i te mapi ki tua o te pukapuka riihi.

E inoi ana ratou kia whakamana a ratou riihi i runga i nga tikanga e mau nei i runga ake nei kia whakaaetia ano hoki he utu mo ta ratou whakapainga i te whenua kia tuhia ano hoki enei tikanga ki roto i te riihi pera me nga riihi i whakaaetia e te kai tiaki o te tokomaha.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

No te mea e tika ana nga riihi e korerotia nei e whakahau ana te Komiti kia whakamana ana ka oti te tuhi nga Mapi i runga i ta te Ture i whakaaroai.

Ko te kupu whakahou i te riihi e mau nei i roto i te pitihana e tu ahua whakauaua rawa ana otira e whakaaro ana te Komiti e taea ano te whakarite hei painga mo te kai riihi me nga Maori ano hold i runga i te whakarere o aua riihi i whakaritea i mua o te tau 1879 a me hoatu hei tapiri mo era riihi he riihi hou i raro i nga tikanga o te Ture Rahui o te Tai Hauauru ko nga utu o te reti me whakahaere i runga i ona painga ano o naianei o te whenua ma tenei te riro ai te utu tuturu o te whenua i ia tau i ia tau i nga Maori a ma tenei e watea ai nga kai riihi ki te whakapai tonu i te whenua ko nga riihi e whakahoutia ana i raro i enei whakahaunga me tino tupato rawa nga Komihana o te Tai Hauauru ki te titiro i nga tikanga o te rarangi tuawaru o te Ture Rahui Whakatau o te Tai Hauauru 1881 i runga i te whakahaere tahi me nga tangata whai take.

21 Oketopa, 1884.