Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1884, No. 2.

[No. 177, Sess. II.—Petition of Wilson and Frere and Others (No. 1).]

No. 177, Sess. II.—Petition of Wilson and Frere and Others (No. 1).

Petitioners state they are leaseholders of Native reserves on the West Coast confiscated territory. Their leases were confirmed by His Excellency the Governor, under "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1881," and the Amendment Act of 1883, subject to the conditions contained in the leases.

They pray that, in addition, they may be allowed valuation for improvements, and, so far as possible, their leases may contain the same conditions as those granted by the Public Trustee.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the question of renewal of the leases mentioned in this petition is of peculiar difficulty; but the Committee considers that it might be disposed of to the advantage of both the lessees and the Natives by the surrender of such existing leases as were made prior to 1879, and giving in exchange new leases under the West Coast Settlement Reserves Acts, at rents to be computed upon the present improved value of the land. This would give the Natives at once the full yearly value of the land, and would leave the lessees free to continue to improve the freehold.

In any renewal to be made under this recommendation the West Coast Commissioner should be most careful to observe the conditions of clause 8 of "The West Coast Settlement Reserves Act, 1881" in reference to acting in concert with the Native owners.

21st October, 1884.

[Translation.]
No. 177, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wirihana me Periri me etahi atu (No. 1).

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana he kai riihi ratou no etahi whenua i te Tai Hauauru Takiwa rau patu. I whakamana aua riihi e te Kawana i raro o "Te Ture Whakatau Rahui o te Tai Hauauru, 1881," me te Ture Whakatikatika, 1883, i raro ano i nga tikanga e mau ana i roto i te riihi.

E Inoi ana hoki ratou kia utua ta ratou whakapainga i te whenua a kia whakaurua hoki ki roto i ta ratou riihi nga tikanga pera me era i whakaritea e te kai tiaki o te tokomaha.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te take whakahou i nga riihi i whakahuatia i roto i tenei pitihana e ahua uaua ana otira e whakaaro ana te Komiti e ahei ano te whakarite hei painga mo nga kai riihi mo nga Maori hoki i runga i te whakakore o nga riihi e mau nei i hanga i mua o te tau 1879 me hoatu hei tapiri mo era, he riihi hou i raro o te Ture Whakatau Rahui o te Tai Hauauru; ko nga utu o te reti me whakarite ano i runga i tona ahua ano o te whenua e takoto nei ma tenei e riro ai i nga Maori nga utu tika mo te whenua i ia tau, i ia tau a ka waiho raruraru kore nga kai riihi ki te whakapai i te whenua.

I roto i nga whakahoutanga katoa e whakahaere ana i raro i tenei tikanga me tino tupato nga Komihana o te Tai Hauauru ki te titiro i nga tikanga o te rarangi tuawaru o "Te Ture Whakatau Rahui o te Tai Hauauru, 1881," i runga i te whakahaere tahi me nga Maori whai take.

21 Oketopa, 1884.