Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1884, No. 2.

[No. 214, Sess. II.—Petition of Te Haere.]

No. 214, Sess. II.—Petition of Te Haere.

Petitioner states that on the 20th March, 1883, he was travelling with Mr. Hursthouse and others from Mokau to Te Uira, when Tamahuki's men came down on them, and caught them. They were put in gaol, and numerous indignities were heaped upon them, and they endured great hardships. They were threatened with death, and he belives they would have been killed had not another tribe come to their assistance. He states a number of articles were stolen from him. He asks that his case may be considered, and redress afforded him.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the allegations in the petition have been proved to be true to the satisfaction of the Committee. The petitioner seems to have acted with great faithfulness in attempting to save the lives of Messrs. Hursthouse and Newsham, who were at the time upon Government business, and received in consequence permanent injury. The Committee believes that such faithful service should not go unrewarded, and therefore recommends the Government to give him a substantial allowance, and is in hopes that, whatever is to be done, shall be done without delay.

2 nd October, 1884.

[Translation.]
No. 214, Sess. II.—Pukapuka-inoi a Te Haere.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i te 20 o nga ra o Maehe, 1883, e haere atu ana ia me Hutahuta me etahi atu ki Te Uira na ka haere mai nga tangata a Te Mahuki ka hopu ia ratou ka maka ki roto ki te whare herehere a he maha nga whiu i whiu ai ratou, i meatia kia whakamatea ratou, a e whakaaro page 9ana ia mei kore tetahi iwi e tae mai ki te whakarauora i a ratou, kua patua ratou, e mea ana ia he maha nga mea i tahaetia iaia, e tono ana ia kia whakaarohia tona mate kia whakaputaina tetahi ora mona.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua mea te Komiti e tino tika ana nga korero o roto i te pitihana, i tino nui rawa hoki te mahi a te kai-pitihana ki te whakarauora i ona hoa ia Hutahuta me tetahi atu, i te mahi Kawanatanga hoki ratou i taua wa, a pa ana te mate kia ratou i runga i taua mahi. E mahara ana te Komiti Kahore o tika kia whakakorea he utu mo tenei mahi aroha heoi kua tono te Komiti ki te Kawanatanga kia hoatu tetahi utu tika, a ko ta ratou i mea ai ko nga utu e utua ana kia hohoro te whakaputa.

2 Oketopa, 1884.