Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 437.—Petition of Henare Tomoana.]

No. 437.—Petition of Henare Tomoana.

Petitioner states that a block of land called Pakowhai, which he and others had inherited, was granted to Karaitiana Takamoana, by desire of the owners, under the mistaken idea that this would preserve their property in it. Karaitiana, instead of treating the land as held in trust, acted as if it were his own, and it has descended to his heir. In this way the petitioner and others have been wronged. He prays that the Crown grant should be cancelled, and a new one issued to protect rightful owners.

I am directed to report as follows:—

This petition opens a very wide question, namely, how far individual grantees represent interests unnamed in the grant. The whole subject is recommended to the consideration of the Government.

3rd September, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 437.—Pukapuka-inoi a Henare Tomoana.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana ko etahi poraka whenua e karangatia ana ko Pakowhai, he whenua tuku iho na o ratou tupuna tae iho ki aia me etahi atu, i karatitia kia Karaitiana Takamoana i runga i te hiahia i te whakaaro pohehe o nga tangata no ratou te whenua, ma reira ka mau tonu ta ratou take i roto i te karati. Kihai a Karaitiana i whakahaere i te whenua i runga i te tikanga tiaki, erangi i whakahaere ano nona ake, a kua tau ki tana uri. No runga i tenei haurahi kua mate te kai pitihana me etahi atu. E tono ana ia kia whakakorea atu tenei karati, kia hanga he mea hou hei tiaki i nga take a nga tangata no ratou te whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E ara ana tetahi tikanga nui i roto i tenei pitihana, ara he pehea ia te nui o te paanga o nga tangata o roto o te karati mo nga ritenga kihai i whakahuatia ki roto i te karati. Ko te whakaaro tenei me tuku tenei take kia whakaarohia e te Kawanatanga.

3 Hepetema, 1883.