Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 453.—Petition of Robert Graham.]

No. 453.—Petition of Robert Graham.

Petitioner states that in 1878 he entered into relations with the chiefs of Rotorua for the occupation of Te Koutu, near Ohinemutu; that the then Native Minister offered to give him a Crown grant of a portion of this land on condition that he would surrender his rights to the Government, which offer he declined; that in April, 1879, he vacated the land in obedience to a request of the Government; that the Thermal Springs Act now prevents him from acquiring any legal title; and, finally, that the passing of the Native Land Laws Amendment Bill will entail upon him loss, unless there be special provisions introduced to protect equitable rights.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee, after having fully examined the petitioner himself, would indorse and emphasize the report upon a similar petition (No. 349) considered last session. That report is as follows: "That Te Koutu Block, which includes Kawaha, was leased by Government in September, 1874; that in March, 1878, Government proclaimed the block as under negotiation for purchase, whilst the petitioner acknowledges that the alleged gift was in December of the same year; the pretended gift seems to have been got after a plentiful supply of stores, including spirits and tobacco to the Natives, and the promise of a church and newspaper, which promise has not been fulfilled. Mr. Graham seems to have no equitable claim to the land, and has no right to look to the Government for assistance."

23rd August, 1883.
page 24

No. 453.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rapata Kereama.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana no te tau 1878 ka whakaritea e ratou me nga Rangatira o Rotorua kia noho ia i runga i Te Koutu, e tata ana ki Ohinemutu, i whakaae Te Minita o te Taha Maori o tera takiwa kia puta he Karauna karaati o tetahi wahi o taua whenua ki a ia mehemea e tukua atu ana ona take ki te kawanatanga.

Kaore ia i whakaae ki taua tikanga; no Aperira, 1879, ka whakarerea e ia taua whenua i runga i te tono a te Kawanuatanga; ko te Pire Ngawha kei te arai i a ia i naianei kihai e taea e ia te whakaoti tona take ki reiri; a, tetahi ki te paahitia te Pire Whakatikatika i nga Pire Whenua Maori tera ia e mate, me kuhu rano he tikanga ki roto hei tiaki i ona paanga tika katahi ia ka ora.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:

Kua tino uiuia e te komiti te kai-pitihana a kua tuturu te whakaaro o te Komiti kia tuaruatia ano ko te whakataunga o tera tau i runga i tetahi pitihana (No 349) penei me tenei hei whakatau ano me tenei ara:—"Ko tau whenua ko Te Koutu e uru nei a Kawaha ki roto, i ruritia e te Kawanatanga i Hepetema, 1874, no Maehe o te tau 1878, ka panuitia e te Kawahatanga taua poraka i runga i ta ratou hoko, na e mea ana ano te kai-pitihana no Tihema ke o taua tau i hoatu ai taua whenua ki a ia, i puta taua kupu i muri i tana hoatutanga nuitanga i te taonga me te waipiro me te tupeka ki nga Maori, na kaore taua kupu a nga Maori kia whakatuturutia kaore he take o Te Kereama ki tau whenua, kaore hoki he tikangata kia tono ia ki te Kawanatanga kia tautoko i a ia.

23 Akuhata, 1883.