Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 427.—Petition of William Humphries and 2 Others.]

No. 427.—Petition of William Humphries and 2 Others.

Petitioners set forth the particulars of a purchase of an acre of land in Wellington from certain Natives in 1877. By the alleged negligence of the late Mr. Halse, who was himself interested as a buyer with Mr. Humphries, the necessary steps for taking off certain restrictions in the Crown grant had been neglected. That gentleman's estate is now being administered by two of the petitioners, the interests of whose clients are now seriously endangered. They pray that the restrictions of the Crown grant may be removed upon such equitable terms as may be advisable.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the transaction seems to have been bona fide on the part of the purchasers, but there are page 23legal difficulties to prevent assent to the prayer of the petition. The petition should be referred to the Government for consideration in the event of any proposed alteration of the law.

21st August, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 427.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wiremu Hamupiri me ona hoa e 2.

E whakaatu ana te kai-pitihana i te hokonga o tetahi eka whenua kotahi i Poneke i etahi Maori i te tau 1877 i runga i te whakaaro kore o Te Harete i uru tahi nei ia me Hamupiri ki te hoko. Ko nga tikanga mo te wewete i nga here i runga i te karauna karati kihai i mahia inaianei kua mate nei a te Harete kei te whakahaeretia ana taonga e nga tangata tokorua i roto i tenei pitihana, erangi kua he rawa to raua panga ki enei taonga inaianei. E inoi ana raua kia unuhia te here i runga i te karauna karati i runga i nga tikanga e kitea te tika ana kia mahia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E tika ana te huarahi o te hoko a te Harete raua ko Kamupiri erangi tera etahi tikanga o te Ture e arai ana i te whakaae ki te inoi a nga kai pitihana, ko tenei me tuku i te pitihana kia whakaarohia e te Kawanatanga i runga i te mea tera pea e hanga tetahi Ture hou hei whakahaere i enei tu take.

21 Akuhata, 1883.