Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 81.—Petition of Hirini te Tumu and 50 Others.]

No. 81.—Petition of Hirini te Tumu and 50 Others.

Petitioners complain that their lands from Ngakuriawhare to Waihi, Block No. 17, had been, without their knowledge, passed through the Court by Ngatimatera and Keepa Raharuhi; that, although Te Keepa had handed to the Court a list of names, including the petitioners, this had not been received, on the ground that there were too many; and that consequently they had lost their property.

I am direceted to report as follows:—

The Committee has no evidence before it to warraut the supposition that the petitioners have been unjustly treated. An area of 10 per cent of the land bought by Government was returned as reserves, and these reserves were chosen by Keepa Raharuhi, and included all the cultivations.

11th July, 1883.

[Translation.]
No.81.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hirini te Tumu me etahi atu e 50.

E whakahe ana nga kai-pitihana mo o ratou whenua haere atu i Ngakuriawhare ki te Poraka o Waihi Nama 17, i whakawakia ki te Kooti e Ngatimatera me Keepa Raharuhi kihai ratou i mohio; page 3na ahakoa i tuku rarangi ingoa ano a Te Keepa ki te Kooti, me o ratou ingoa ano i roto, kaore i Whakahaua, te take he nui rawa no nga tangata, no reira riro noa iho to ratou whenua.

Kua Whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kaore he korero i te aroaro o te Komiti hei whaaki i tau he mate ki runga ki nga kai-pitihana. I whakahokia ki nga maori kotahi eka i roto i nga eka kotahi tekau o nga whenua katoa i hokona e te Kawanatanga hei rahui mo ratou; ko aua rahui na Te Keepa Raharuhi ano i whiriwhiri me nga mahinga-kai katoa i uru ki roto.

11 Hurae, 1883.