Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 13.—Petition of John Harding.]

No. 13.—Petition of John Harding.

Petitioner states that, owing to certain Natives having taken possession of his land at Waipukurau, he was deprived of the benefits to which he was entitled; that, having taken the case into the Supreme Court, he obtained a writ of ejectment against the intruders; that the Sheriff never executed this writ; and that the petitioner understands that this neglect arose from fear of violence. Petitioner prays for compensation for his losses on the ground that no private individual should suffer by reason of a public policy. He further states that, through the intervention of Government, he has at last obtained possession of his land.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee is of opinion that Mr. Harding is entitled to some consideration, and would recommend this case to the Government with a view to a settlement, in connection with other cases of a similar kind.

16th August, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 13.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hone Haringi.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana no runga i te tangohanga a etahi Maori i tana whenua i Waipukurau i ngaro nga painga o taua whenua ki aia; tukua ana e i ki te Hupirimi Kooti, whakaputaina ana he warati pana i taua hunga. Erangi kihai te apiha o te Kooti i whakahaere i te warati, a ki te mohio o te kai-pitihana he wehi no taua apiha kei puta tetahi pakanga i kore ai e whakamana taua warati. E inoi ana te kai-pitihana kia utua tana mate, ko te take, e kore e tika kia mate te tangata kotahi i runga i te mahi whakahaere mo te katoa. E mea ana hoki ia no runga i te mea whakarite o te Kawanatanga ka tahi ka riro mai i aia tana whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te whakaaro o te Komiti tenei e tika ana kia whakaputaina tetahi tikanga kia Haringi, me te whakaaro ano hoki me tuku tenei keehi ki te Kawanatanga kia whakaotia tahi me etahi atu keehi i rite ki tenei.

16 Akuhata, 1883.