Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 74.—Petition of Wiremu Katene te Mapu and 11 Otheres (No.3).]

No. 74.—Petition of Wiremu Katene te Mapu and 11 Otheres (No.3).

Petitioners state that in 1878 Judge Wilson awarded Rauotehuia, in Tauranga District, to Ngatiwhakaue; that the Ngatirangiwewehi disagreed with the judgment, and applied for a rehearing; that on the 8th April, 1880, an Order in Council was made granting a rehearing on or before the 13th November, 1880, but that this had not taken place; and that in 1883, when the Court sat at Maketu, Judge Brookfield had stated that the case could not be reheard without parliamentary action.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the facts as stated in the petition are accurate, and it seems that it was not through any fault of the petitioners that the rehearing did not take place. Nothing can be done in the present state of the law; and, if a rehearing is to take place, special legislation is necessary. The Committee would recommend Government to earnestly take this and similar cases into consideration, and either provide by special or general legislation for meeting what seem to be grievances of this kind.

11th July, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 74.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wiremu Katene te Mapu me etahi atu 11. (Nama 3).

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana no te tau 1878 ka whakataua e Tiati Wirihana a Rauotehuia, i rote i te takiwa o Tauranga, ki a Ngatiwhakaue; na i whakaae a Ngatirangiwewehi ki taua whakataunga tono ano ratou ki a whakawa tuaruatia; no te 8 o nga ra o Aperira 1880 ka puta tetahi ota i roto i te kaunigera whakaae i te whakawa tuarua kia tu a te 13 o nga ra o Hepetema 1880, i mua atu ranei engari kaore i tu taua whakawa tuarua; no te tuunga o te Kooti ki Maketu i te 1883 i ki a Tiati Purukuwhira ma te Paremete rano e whakahaere katahi ano ka taea te whakawa tuarua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kei te tika nga putake e korerotia ana i roto i tenei pitihana, a e hara i te mea no nga kai-pitihana te he i kore ai te whakawa tuarua. E kore e taea te pewhea i runga i tenei ahua o te ture ma te ture hou rano katahi ka taea te whakawa tuarua. E mea ana tenei Komiti me tuku atu tenei pitihana ki te Kawanatanga kia whakaarohia nuitia e ratou me etahi atu pitihana ano hoki penei me tenei, me kore e taea e ratou kia hanga ture hei whakatika i enei tu mate.

11 Hurae, 1883.