Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 345.—Petition of Henare Kaihau.]

No. 345.—Petition of Henare Kaihau.

Petitioner says that he and others named were grantees and owners of land at Waiuku, and that Paoro te Iwi, one of the grantees, now dead, had left by will to petitioner his share in the property, and that, the land having been sold, a sum of £2,000 is held by the Public Trustee, of which he is half owner. He prays that this money may be paid to him.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That petitioner was owner with others in a block of land called Pehiakura, restricted from sale or lease for more than twenty-one years. The land was let at £75 per annum. In 1880 the owners were offered £3,500 for the land, and, as this would bring in a much larger income if invested than the lease produced, they applied for leave to sell, stating that they would agree to the money being invested permanently for their use. By agreement a sum of £500 was paid them for the purpose of paying debts, and it was further agreed that £3,000 should be invested by the Public Trustee. When the trust deed was ready they refused to sign, as they wanted more money. After various negotiations, the sum of £1,000 further was paid, and now they weary the Minister for the balance of £2,000. The Committee recommends that it should not be paid to petitioners, but invested by the Public Trustee, if the law permits of that course.

10th August, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 345.—Pukapuka-inoi a Henare Kaihau.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana ko ia ko etahi atu i whakahuatia i uru ki te Karati, i whai take hoki ki tetahi whenua i Waiuku, a ko Paora te iwi uru nei ki roto i te Karati, kua mate nei hoki, kua waiho i runga i tana wira ki te Kai pitihana tana take ki taua whenua, a no te mea kua hokona taua whenua kua mau nga moni e £2,000 i te Kai tiaki o te katoa, na te Kai pitihana nei ano te hawhe o aua moni, me tana inoi kia utua enei moni ki a ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te kai-pitihana me etahi atu no ratou nei tetahi poraka whenua e karangatia ana ko Pehiakura i hereherea kei hokona kei rihitia neke atu i nga tau e 21, I retia taua whenua mo nga moni e £75 i te tau. I te tau 1880 ka puta te kupu hoko ki ana kia £3,500 mo taua whenua, a no te mea tera e neke ake nga hua o enei moni i o nga moni o te reti i whakatakotoria nei ki te aroaro o te Komiti ka tono ratou kia hokona, mea ana ka whakaae ratou kia whakahaere tuturutia enei moni hei oranga mo ratou.

I runga i tetahi whakaritena ka utua kia ratou nga moni e £500 hei utu i a ratou nama, a i whakaaetia ano hoki nga moni e £3,000 ma te Kai Tiaki o katoa e whakahaere kia whai hua ai.

No te otinga o te Rira Tiaki Rahore ratou i pai ki te haina, no te mea e hiahia ana ratou kia whakaputaina etahi moni, he maha nga korerotanga i muri iho ka tahi ka utua atu ano nga moni £1,000, a ka tone ano ratou ki te minita Maori kia utua atu nga toenga e £2,000. Ko te Whakaaro tenii a te Komiti kia kaua enei moni e utua ki te kai pitihana eranga me waiho ki te kai Tiaki o te katoa ara mehemea e tika ana i runga i te huarahi o te ture.

10 Akuhata, 1883.