Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 71.—Petition of Paora te Karetai.]

page 16

No. 71.—Petition of Paora te Karetai.

Petitioner complains that the Court at Cambridge had not included his name in the grant of 6,000 acres in Waotu No. 1 Block, but only in an inalienable reserve. This he attributes to the treachery of his lawyer whilst he was absent, and to the hostility of Judge Puckey, who said he (Paora Karetai) was "an infernal nuisance." The petitioner having been refused a rehearing by the Chief Judge, he prays Parliament for redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee has no evidence before it to warrant a recommendation for a rehearing. Both Chief Judge Macdonald and Judge Puckey have been examined, and from their evidence there seems to have been no failure of justice.

10th August, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 71.—Pukapuka-inio a Paora te Karetai.

E ki ano te kai pitihana kahore te kooti i kemureti i whakauru i tona ingoa ki roto ki te karati o te 6,000 eka i Waoutu No. 1 Poraka, erangi i roto i te tahi whenua rahui. E ki ana ia ko te take he tinihanga no tana roia i a ia e ngaro ana tetahi he riri no Tiate Paki, i mea (ko Paora Karetai) he "Pokokohua Whakararuraru." Kua kore e whakaaetia he whakawa tuarua e te Tumuaki. Heoi ka inoi ia ki te Paremete mo te tahi tikanga e ora ai ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kahore he korero i te aroaroa o te Komiti e whai take ai kia whakawakia tuaruatia, I tae mai ano Te Tumuaki me Tiati Paki ki te aroaro o te Komiti korero ai, a i runga i a raua korero, kaore i kitea he he o te whakawanga o taua whenua.

10 Akuhata, 1883.