Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 79 of 1883.—Petition of Piripi Whatuaio.]

No. 79 of 1883.—Petition of Piripi Whatuaio.

Petitioner complains that the Land Court awarded Waotu No. 2 (otherwise called Waotu South) to the Ngatihurikapu, though it belonged to himself and tribe (the Ngatingarongo). He asks for a rehearing.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That application for a rehearing should be made to the Chief Judge of the Native Land Court, in whom the law vests the right to decide. Disappointed claimants seem to think that they can bring parliamentary influence to bear upon the Chief Judge by petitioning the House, and getting their case stated to this Committee; and the sooner this erroneous impression is removed the better for all parties concerned. The Native Affairs Committee cannot sit as an extra judicial Court of Appeal to investigate title to Native land. Even were its members chosen as specially fitted for this work, it is evident that the time at its disposal would be quite insufficient for the magnitude of the task. Indeed a single case might not be got through during a session.

The Committee has had some interesting evidence placed before it relating to the working of the Native Land Court, and the evils attending the present system of dealing in Maori land. It recommends that the evidence be printed.

The Committee is of opinion that the practice of previous Judges of the Native Land Court, in giving their judgments with their reasons at length, so that all might see that they were in accordance with law and justice, was a very proper one; and the Committee regrets that they cannot express an opinion as to whether the allegations in the petition are correct or not, as the Judges of the Land Court have given no reasons whatever why they decided against the petitioner, thus affording the Committee no data to go on.

That, in view of probable legislation on questions of this kind, the Government be recommended to consider this matter, and see if it can be brought under the class of cases under their consideration.

Robert Trimble,
Chairman.

3rd August, 1883.

[Note,— For Minutes of Evidence vide I.–2a.]

[Translation.]
No. 79 of 1883.—Pukapuka-inoi a Piripi Whatuaio.

E whai kupu ana te kai-pitihana no te mea i whakataua e te Kooti Whenua Maori a Waotu No. 2 (ara e karangatia ana ko Waotu ki te Tonga) kia Ngatihurikapu, nana ke ra no tona Iwi no Ngatingarongo. E tono ana ia kia whakawakia tuarauatia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te tono mo te whakawa tuarua me tuku atu ki te Tumuaki o te Kooti Whenua Maori kei aia nei te taunga o te Ture mo te whakatau. Ko te hunga i mate he e whakaaro ana ka ahei e ratou te whakahau i te mana o te Paremete ki runga i te Tumuaki i runga i te pitihana ki te Whare kia korerotia ai ta ratou keehi ki tenei Komiti, ko te mea tika kia hohoro te whakamohio atu ki nga tangata katoa e he ana tenei huarai. Ekore e ahei te Komiti mo te taha Maori te noho hei Kooti tukunga take atu hei whakawa i nga Whenua Maori—ahakoa he mema whiriwhiri ona i tino mohio ki te whakahaere i tenei mahi, e tino mohiotia ana hoki ekore rawa e ahei te whakahaere i nga tikanga i te nui o nga mahi, mehemea e penei ana te whakahaere ekore e oti te keehi kotahi i te nohoanga kotahi o te Paremete.

He Korero pai nga korero i korerotia ki te aroaro o te Komiti i runga i nga whakahaere a te page 13Kooti Whenua Maori me nga he i runga i enei tikanga whakahaero i nga Whenua Maori. E whakaaro ana ahau me perehi enei korero.

E whakaaaro ana te Komiti ko te whakahaere a nga Tiati o te Kooti Whenua Maori i runga i te tukunga o a ratou whakataunga me a ratou whakaaro i runga i aua whakataunga he mea kia kitea ai e te katoa i whakahaeretia aua tikanga i runga i te tika me te mana o te Ture, e pouri ana hoki te Komiti no te mea kahore e ahei e ratou te whakaputa i tetahi whakaaro e tika ana ranei nga korero o roto o te pitihana e he ana ranei, no te mea kahore nga Tiati i whakaputa i tetahi whakaaro i whakahe ai ratou ki te kai pitihana—me te kore huarahi whakahaere ma te Komiti.

A i runga i te mea tera e hanga tetahi Ture hei whakahere i nga take penei me whakahau i te Kawanatanga kia whakaarohia tenei take kia tirohia mehemea ekore e ahei te whakahaere i tenei keehi i rite nei ki etahi atu keehi penei e whakaarohia nei e ratou.

3 Akuhata, 1883.