Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 242.—Petition of Wepiha Apanui and 55 Others (No. 2).]

page 7

No. 242.—Petition of Wepiha Apanui and 55 Others (No. 2).

Petitioners desire the restrictions upon the alieation of their land at Whakatane to be removed.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this is one of a series of petitions where the names in the grant are only entered as trustees for a tribe. These grantees not unfrequently let the land, and appropriate the rent to their own use. Legislation is needful for the purpose of fixing individual interests. Merely to take off restrictions is not the course to be adopted. The Committee recommends the subject to the early attention of Government.

25th July, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 242.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wepiha Apanui me etahi atu e 55 (Nama 2).

E hiahia ana nga kai-pitihana kia tangohia te here i runga i o ratou whenua i Whakatane.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I rite ano tenei pitihana ki etahi atu pitihana penei, no te mea ko nga ingoa o nga tangata i tuhia ki te karaati he kai tiaki kau ratou mo te Iwi. He mea ano ka retia te whenua e nga tangata i roto i te karaati ko nga moni ka kainga e ratou ano, me whai ture hei whakatau i te take o ia tangata ki te whenua. Ko te tango kau i nga here ehara i te huarahi tika, ko te Komiti e whakaaro ana me tuku tenei take kia whakaarohia wawetia e te Kawanatanga.

25 Hurae, 1883.