Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Report of the Native Affairs Committee, 1883.

[No. 54.—Petition of Reha Aperahama and 26 Others.]

No. 54.—Petition of Reha Aperahama and 26 Others.

Petitioners say that it is alleged by a Government official that Tanahawaero, between Katikati and Te Aroha, is confiscated land. They protest against this as an act of injustice.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the land referred to was confiscated land, which was returned to the Natives. The boundary of the confiscated land at this place was designated the "Watershed." Government subsequently considered it desirable to purchase this portion of the land. It was understood that the block to be purchased corresponded with that given back to the Natives. When the purchasing arrangement was being made, the boundary was described in the Katikati-Te Puna deed by names of places. From correspondence produced by the Government it seems that the Natives now allege that these names show that a portion of the land was not included in the purchase, though the vagueness of the petition makes the matter otherwise unintelligible. It is unfortunate that in the purchase the word "watershed" was not again used. The Committee has no recommendation to make.

24th July, 1883.

[Translation.]
No. 54.—Pukapuka-inoi a Reha Aperahama me etahi atu e 26.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana na tetahi apiha a te Kawanatanga te korero he whenua rau-patu a Tanahawaero i waenganui o Katikati me te Aroha. E whakahe ana ratou ki tenei mahi tahae.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te whenua e korerotia nei e te pitihana i rau-patutia ano i te tuatahi no muri ka whakahokia ki nga Maori. Ko te rohe o te whenua rau-patu i taua wahi e whakahuatia ana ko "te tihi o te maunga." No muri ka mea te Kawanatanga kia hoko i taua piihi whenua; na ko te wahi hei hokonga i mohiotia i reira ko te wahi ano i whakahokia ki nga Maori. I te hokonga o taua wahi i whakahuatia nga rohe i roto i te pukapuka-hoko o Katikati-Te Puna. I runga i nga pukapuka kua whakatakotoria mai e te Kawanatanga, e mea ana nga Maori inaianei i mahne tetahi piihi whenua ki waho o taua rohe o te hoko, engari kaore rawa i marama te whakaatu mai a te pitihana. Tetahi he, kihai i whakahuatia ano nga kupu "te tihi o te maunga" mo te mutunga mai o te rohe i te takiwa o te hoko.

24 Hurae, 1883.