Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 426 of 1882.—Petition of Toha and 29 Others.]

No. 426 of 1882.—Petition of Toha and 29 Others.

Petitioners state that a road is being carried through their village at Mohaka, cutting even through their meeting-houses, and that they can get no redress from the County Council, nor even information as to compensation. They say they have been always loyal. They pray for inquiry and redress.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this was before the Committee and reported upon on the 29th June last, on the petition of Paora Rerepu and Others, when the Government was recommended to make full inquiries. These inquiries have been made, and full reports received from the Chief Survoyor, at Napier, together with a map showing in detail the various lines proposed. No fences, cultivations, or houses have been or are to be interfered with. The County Council has to form and maintain the road. The Committee has no recommendation to make.

28th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 426 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Toha me etahi atu e 29.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana kei te kawea tetahi rori ma roto pu ano i to ratou kainga i Mohaka, e tapahi ana taua rori i waenganui i o ratou whare-puni; na kaore he ora e tukua atu ana kia ratou e te Kauti Kaunihera, a kaore hoki he kupu whakaatu ka utua ranei ratou kaore ranei.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana he iwi piri-pono ratou ki a Te Kuini no mua iho—a he inoi ta ratou, kia whiriwhiria to ratou mate kia whakataua he ora kia ratou:—

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I tae mai ano tenei pitihana ki te Komiti i te 29 o Hune, a i whakataua i reira; ko Paora Kerepu me etahi atu nga kai-pitihana: Ko te whakatau i reira he tono i te Kawanatanga kia tino rapua nga tikanga katoa o taua raruraru. Na kua rapua taua mea, kua tae mai nga ripoata a te Tino Kai-ruri i Nepia, me te mapi whakaatu i nga raina katoa kua takoto mo taua rori—kaore taua rori e pa ana ki tetahi whare, taiapa, mahinga-kai ranei: Ko te Kauti Kaunihera hei hanga hei whakapai i nga rori, no reira kaore he kupu a te Komiti.

28 Akuhata, 1882.