Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 332 of 1882.—Petition of Mrs. E. Douglas, Korowhiti Tuataka (No. 2).]

No. 332 of 1882.—Petition of Mrs. E. Douglas, Korowhiti Tuataka (No. 2).

Petitioner states that, referring to the report of this Committee of the 30th July, 1880, on her claims to land held by Captain Morris, her tribe had not given her any land, and she prays that her name may be inserted in the Crown grant for Poeke.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the following is the report of 30th July, 1880, to which Mrs. Douglas alludes:" The claims of Mrs. Douglas are against people of her own tribe. They have given a part of the land to her, and purpose that in the adjudication upon other blocks she should have such a share as would compensate for prior loss. The Committee has therefore no recommendation to make." From the report of Mr. Brabant, Commissioner of Tauranga Lands, dated the 4th August, 1882, and specially referring to this petition, it appears that Mrs. Douglas's claims are being attended to. Certificates of title have been produced to the Committee, all dated since the report of 1880, showing that Mrs. Douglas's name has been included in the following blocks: Waoku, No. 1; Oropi, No. 1; and Oropi, No. 2. Her name is not in the grant for Poeke. The Commissioner states that no claim had been made in reference to it. It is a grant issued previous to 1880. The Committee has no further recommendation to make.

22nd August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 332 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Korowhiti Tutaka (Mrs. Douglas) (Nama 2).

E Korero ana te kai-pitihana i te ripoata a te komiti i te 30 o Hurae 1880, mo ruuga i ana kereme ki nga whenua i a Kapene Morete, e ki ana te kai-pitihana kaore ano kia hoatu he whenua mana e tona iwi, e inoi ana hoki ia kia whakaurua tona ingoa ki roto ki te karaati mo Poeke.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Koia nei te whakataunga a te komiti i te 30 o Hurae 1880, e korerotia nei e korowhiti Tuataka, ko enei tono a Korowhiti Tuataka (Mrs. Douglas) he tono ki tana iwi. Kua hoatu ano e ratou tetahi wahi o te whenua kia ia, e mea ana hoki kia whakawakia nga take ki etahi whenua ka hoatu ai tetahi wahi ki a ia hei whakarite mo ana mate o mua. No reira ka kore e whai kupu tenei komiti.

I runga i te ripoata a Paramena (Brabant) Komihana whenua o Tauranga, o te 4 o Akuhata, 1882, mo runga i tenei pitihana, e kitea ana kei te maharatia nga take o Korowhiti Tuataka (Mrs Douglas), kua kite hoki te komiti i te Tiwhikete, no muri katoa i te ripoata o te tau 1880, e whakaatu ana hoki i te urunga o te ingoa o Korowhiti Tuataka (Mrs. Douglas) ki enei poraka, ara, ki Wauku Nama 1, Opori Nama 1 me Oropi Nama 2. Kaore tona ingoa i uru ki te karaati mo Poeke. E ki ana te kaipitihana kaore he kereme i tukua atu mo tera. He karaati tera i whakaputaina i mua atu i te tau 1880 Kaore he whakataunga ke atu ma te komiti.

22 Akuhata, 1882.