Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 393 of 1882.—Petition of Hoepa Mataitaua.]

No. 393 of 1882.—Petition of Hoepa Mataitaua.

Petitioner resides at Te Kouma, Coromandel, and complains that strangers from Sydney, Melbourne, and elsewhere, come and remove oysters and other shellfish in great quantities, to the manifest injury of the Maori people, and with the effect of speedily ruining the fisheries. He prays that a law may be enacted to give the right of fishing on foreshores to the owners of the land abutting upon them.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee would recommend that inquiries should be made by Government into the truth of the allegation in the petition, and that it should take action if necessary.

18th August, 1882.
page 28

[Translation.]
No. 393 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Hohepa Mataitaua.

E Ki ana te kai pitihana ko tona kainga noho ko Te Kouma kei Koromaina; he whakahe tana i te haere mai a nga tangata hou o Poihakene. o Merepana me etahi atu wahi ki te mau nui i nga tio me etahi atu pipi ma reira ka mate nui te iwi Maori ka tere hoki te kino o nga wahi mahinga ika: E inoi ana ia me tuku te mana mahi ika ki tatahi ki nga tangata ano no ratou te whenua e hono ake ana i uta.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E mea ana te komiti me rapu te Kawanatanga mehemea ranei ho pono te kupu o roto i te puka-puka-inoi, a ka whakahaere i tetahi tikanga ana kitea e pai ana kia pera.

18 Akuhata, 1882.