Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 349 of 1882.—Petition of Robert Graham (No. 1).]

No. 349 of 1882.—Petition of Robert Graham (No. 1).

Petitioner states that on the 9th December, 1878, the Natives made a gift to him of a portion of Te Koutou and Kawaha in the Rotorua district, and agreed to lease the remainder; that this was done because he had prevented bloodshed; that he has made improvements upon the land; that the land has been proclaimed under the Thermal-Springs Act, and that he has therefore been prevented from getting any advantage from the gift.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That Te Koutou Block, which includes Kawaha, was leased by Government in September, 1874, that in March, 1878, Government proclaimed the block as under negotiation for purchase, whilst the petitioner acknowledges that the alleged gift was in December of the same year; the pretended gift seems to have been got after a plentiful supply of stores, including spirits and tobacco, to the Natives, and the promise of a church and newspaper, which promise has not been fulfilled; Mr. Graham seems to have no equitable claim to the land, and has no right to look to the Government for assistance.

15th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 349 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rapata Kereama (Nama 1).

E Ki ana te kai-pitihona no te 9 o Tihema, 1878, ka hoatu ki a ia tetahi taha o Te Koutu me Kawaha i te takiwa o Rotorua, whakaaetia ana kia riihitia e ia te toenga o taua whenua; i whakaaetia enei mea ki a ia no te mea nana i arai te raruraru i kore ai e heke te toto; kua whakapaia e ia taua whenua; kua panuitia taua whenua i raro i to Ture Ngawha no reira kua kore e puta mai ki a ia he oranga i runga i taua hoatutanga a nga Maori ki a ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko taua whenua ko Te Koutou e uru nei a Kawaha ki roto, i riihitia e te Kawanatanga i Hepetema, 1874, no Maihe o te tau 1878, ka panuitia e te Kawanatanga taua poraka i runga i ta ratou hoko, na e mea ana ano te Kai-pitihana no Tihemo ke o taua tau i hoatu ai taua whenua mana; ko taua kupu e mea nei i hoatu te whenua ki a ia, i puta taua kupu i muri i tana hoatutanga nuitanga i te taonga me te waipiro me te tupeka ki nga Maori, na kaore taua kupu a nga maori kia whakatuturutia; kaore he take o Te Kereama ki taua whenua, kaore hoki he tikanga kia tono ia ki te Kawanatanga te tautoko i a ia.

15 Akuhata, 1882.