Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 250 of 1882.—Petition of Thomas Craig.]

No. 250 of 1882.—Petition of Thomas Craig.

Petitioner states that in 1871 and 1876 he had petitioned the House in regard to losses sustained by him owing to his having trusted to the permission given to him in 1861 by Mr. Mantell to negotiate with certain Natives to cut timber at Opitonui, and to his having been turned off the land and his cut logs seized after the land had passed through the Native Land Court in 1870; and that, though the Public Petitions Committee had in 1871 recommended Government to consider his case, nothing has been done.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Government did what it could to enable Mr. Craig to get his logs away, and that he got a good many to his mill in consequence. In 1876 the Public Petitions Committee, after a full investigation, reported that it could see no way of granting further relief. This Committee has no recommendation to make, as it recognizes no equitable claim against the colony.

11th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 250 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Tamati Kereiki.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i pitihana ia ki te Whare i te tau 1871 me te tau 1876 mo taua mate i puta mai ki a ia i runga i tana rongonga ki te kupu whakaae a te Matara i te tau 1861 kia whakaritea e ia ki nga Maori kia tapahia e ia etahi rakau i Opitonui, me te pananga a nga Maori i a ia me te rironga o nga poro rakau i tuaina e ia, i muri i te whakataunga a te Kooti Whenua Maori i te tau 1870, tonoa ana e te Komiti i te tau 1871 kia ata whakaarohia e te Kawanatanga, kaore ano kia puta he tikanga.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I tahuri ano te Kawanatanga ki te tautoko i a Kereiki kia taea ai e ia te tango mai i nga rakau i tuaina e ia, riro mai ana etahi ki tana mira. No te tau 1876 ka tu ano te Komiti ata whiriwhiria ana e ratou, ki ana ratou kaore he take kia puta ano he oranga mona i runga i tenei take. Kaore he kupu a tenei Komiti natemea kaore i te kitea he take tiita tenei ma te Koroni e mahi.

11 Akuhata, 1882.