Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 236 of 1882.—Petition of Nevil Septimus Walker.]

No. 236 of 1882.—Petition of Nevil Septimus Walker.

Petitioner states that in 1878, acting under instructions from the Native Minister, he paid to members of Rewi's tribe about £300, to enable them to obtain clothing and food during the Native meeting in Waitara; that he furnished to the Native Office vouchers for these advances, and that he has received only £160 on account. He prays for relief.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That it is true that Mr. Walker sent a claim for £300, which received qualified approval from Mr. Sheehan, then Native Minister. Mr. Walker was told by the latter that when he sent vouchers, &c., which would be in conformity with the rules of the Audit Department, the money would be paid. The account now stands thus: Paid to Mr. Walker on account, £30; vouchers passed, £128 0s. 5d.; total, £158 0s. 5d. Outstanding: Vouchers without receipts, £12 1s., and £59 13s. 4d.; receipts, but no certificates as to fact that the supplies were furnished to Maoris, £70 5s. 3d.; total, £141 19s. 7d. The Committee has no recommendation to make.

9th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 236 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Newiri Hepitama Waaka.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana no te tau 1878 ka whakaputaina e ia e £300 ki a Rewi me tona iwi i runga i nga tohutohu a te Minita mo te Taha Maori, kia whiwhi ai ratou i te kakahu me te kai i te Hui i tu ai ki Waitara. I tukua ano e te kai-pitihana etahi pukapuka ki te Tari Maori mo ana mea i tuku ai ki aua Maori, na heoi ano nga moni kua utua ki a ia e £160. E inoi ana ia kia whakaorangia tona mate.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E tika ana i tuku tono ano a Te Waaka mo nga moni e £300, a i whakaaetia e Te Hiana Minita Maori i tera takiwa, ko nga mea ano e tika ana. I tuhia atu tetahi reta ki a Te Waaka, ki atu, ki te hangai ona pukapuka tono moni i runga i nga ritenga o te Tari Titiro Kaute tera ano e utua.

Koia tenei te ahua o taua Kaute.

Kua utua ki a Te Waaka i runga i taua Kaute, £30; kua utua ki a Te Waaka i runga i nga pukapuka tono moni kua whakaaetia, £128 0s. 5d.: huihui katoa, £158 0s. 5d. E toe ana.—Nga pukapuka tono moni kore rihiiti, £12 1s.; me te £59 13s. 4d; nga mea rihiiti engari kaore he tiwhikete hei whaka-atu i riro ano nga mea i nga Maori, £70 5s. 3d.: hui katoa, £141 19s. 7d. Kaore he kupu a te Komiti.

9 Akuhata, 1882.