Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 297 of 1882.—Petition of Kirihini Te Moeranga.]

No. 297 of 1882.—Petition of Kirihini Te Moeranga.

Petitioners say that a burial-place is included in land sold to Government at Otamawhakaruru, Mongonui, and that this burial-ground was excepted from the sale, but petitioners find that no provision has been made to give them possession. They pray that 20 acres of land, including the burial-ground, may be given to them.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the petitioners do not give the name of the block referred to; but Mr. Tawhai, who presented the petition, thinks it is Puheke. The Committee has no evidence as to whether the land has been sold by Government to settlers. The Committee recommends that inquiry should be made, and if it be found that the land is still held by the Crown, that any burial-place within it should be protected.

4th August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 297 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Kirihini Te Moeranga me etahi atu.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana tera tetahi urupa kei roto i tetahi whenua i hokona ki te Kawanatanga, i Otamawhakaruru, Mangonui. Ko taua urupa i kapea ki waho o te hoko, engari kua kite nga kaipitihana kihai i whakaotia he tikanga e riro ai kia ratou taua wahi. E inoi ana ratou me hoatu he whenua ki a ratou kia 20 eka a me uru taua urupa ki roto.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kaore i whakahuatia e nga kai-pitihana te ingoa o te Poraka e korerotia ana e ratou, engari ki te mahara a H. Tawhai, nana nei i tuku te pukapuka-inoi ki te Whare, ko Puheke taua whenna—kaore he korero hei whakaatu ki te komiti mehemea ranei i hokona taua whenua e te Kawanatanga ki nga tangata noho kainga. E whakahau ana te komiti me rapu taua mea, a ki te kitea kei te Karauna tonu taua whenua me tika ano taua wahi urupa.

4 Akuhata, 1881.