Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 223 of 1882.—Petition of Tamati kite Rangi.]

page 17

No. 223 of 1882.—Petition of Tamati kite Rangi.

Petitioner states that he was principal owner of land called Thauwhareparae, Tologa Bay; that he was induced by the Government Land Purchase Agent to sign a deed of sale, and induced others to do the same, by a promise to him of £500; that he has only received £50; that Mr. Gill had been asked for the money, but in lieu thereof he promised to obtain a pension for petitioner, which, however, has never been granted; and that Captain Porter, Government Agent, had promised him 200 acres of good land, which promise had not been kept.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That on the 20th August, 1880, the Committee, after a full investigation, reported against the claims of the petitioner. The new matter in this petition is the alleged promise of land by Captain Porter. The promise amounted to the grant of a pa, which pa was included in a reserve of 5,000 acres. The Committee has no recommendation to make.

2nd August, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 223 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Tama kite Rangi.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana ko ia te tino tangata whaitake ki Tauwhareparaae, Tolago Bay. Na te Apiha hoko whenua a te Kawanatanga kia hoatu ki a ia te £500—i whakaae ai ia ki te haina i te pukapuka hoko, i tono ai hoki ia kia haina etahi atu tangata; na e £50—ano nga moni kua riro i a ia, i tonoa ano kia Te Kira kia homai aua moni, ki mai ana ia me whakarite ke ki tetahi penihana ma te kai-pitihana, otiia kaore ano tera kia whakaritea; e ki ana hoki i whakaaetia te 200 eka whenua pai e Kapene Poata te Apiha Kawanatanga, na kaore ano hoki tera kupu kia whakatuturutia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I ata whiriwhiria ano e te Komiti nga tono a te kai-pitihana i te 20 o Akuhata, 1880, whakahengia ana i reira. Ko te mea hou o roto o tenei pitihana ki te kupu e ki nei i whakaae a Kapene Poata ki te hoatu i etahi whenua. Ko taua kupu he mea whakaae atu mo tetahi pa, whakaurua atu ana taua pa ki roto ki tetahi rahui e 5,000 eka. Kaore he kupu a te Komiti mo tenei.

2 Akuhata, 1882.