Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 288 of 1882.—Petition of William Worker.]

No. 288 of 1882.—Petition of William Worker.

Petitioner states that on the 26th October, 1875, he paid to the Native owners of Pakiri Block (now belonging to the Government) £130 on account of two portions of land afterwards declared to be within said block. He prays that, upon payment of the balance of the purchase-money, he may be placed in possession of the land or get other relief.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That Mr. Worker paid his money away under a mistaken impression. The land passed through the Court in 1869, and the certificate of title was issued in 1870. In 1872 Government began to purchase, and completed the transaction for two-thirds of the block in 1880. The case is a hard one, and Mr. Worker was evidently a bonâ fide settler. The Committee recommends Government to consider whether, under the Special Powers and Contracts Bill, or by means of putting up the land for sale with a reserve for cost and improvements, redress could be found for an evident hardship.

31st July, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 288 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wiremu Waaka.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i utua e ia ki nga Maori te £130—mo runga i te hoko o Pakiri (kua riro nei i te Kawanatanga) mo etahi wahi e rua o te whenua i kiia nei i muri i uru ki roto ki taua poraka. E inoi ana ia kia whakatuturutia ki a ia taua whenua i tana utunga i nga moni toenga o te hoko, kia hoatu ranei tetahi atu huarahi hei oranga mona.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I pohehe te utunga a Waaka i ana moni. I whakawakia taua whenua e te Kooti i te tau 1869, whakaputaina ana te Tiwhikete i te tau 1870. I te tau 1872 i timata te hoko a te Kawanatanga i taua whenua, a no te tau 1880 i oti ai te hoko o te nuinga o taua whenua. He mea ano tenei kia arohatia natemea i hiahia pu a Waaka kia noho tuturu ia i runga i taua whenua. E tono ana te Komiti ki te Kawanatanga kia ata whiriwhiria mehemea ranei e kore e taea i raro i" Te Pire mo etahi mea motuhake," i runga ranei i te makete i te whenua me te kupu kia utua nga mahinga i runga i te whenua, kia kitea ai tetahi huarahi hei whakamama i taua mate.

31 Hurae, 1882.