Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 219 of 1882.—Petition of Rangi Tuataka and Another.]

No. 219 of 1882.—Petition of Rangi Tuataka and Another.

Petitioners state that their father, Takerei Waitara, a member of the Ngatimaniopoto Tribe, had given the land in Taranaki, southward of Parininihi, into the occupation of Wiremu Kingi, but still kept his right over it; that this land had been since confiscated, and that part of it is now being returned to the Maoris. They pray that a piece of land may be returned to them.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That if the petitioners have a claim within the confiscated boundary, they should make it before the West Coast Commissioner, or other proper tribunal.

28th July, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 219 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rangi Tuataka.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana ko to ratou matua ko Takerei Waitara no Ngatipaniapoto, nana i tuku atu te whenua i Taranaki i te taha ki te tonga o Parininihi kia Wiremu Kiingi. Engari i mau tonu ano ki a ia te mana o taua whenua, no muri mai nei ka riro te whenua, i te rau-patu, na kei te whakahokia etahi o aua whenua i naianei ki nga Maori. E inoi ana kia whakahokia tetahi taha o te whenua kia ratou.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Mehemea e whaitake ana nga kai-pitihana ki etahi whenua i roto i te rau-patu, me tone atu e ratou ki te Komihana mo te Tai Hauauru ki etahi atu hunga tika ranei.

28 Hurae, 1882.