Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 57 of 1882.—Petition of Pita Tunua and Parore.]

No. 57 of 1882.—Petition of Pita Tunua and Parore.

Petitioners state that they have no land, and ask for a grant of 200 acres in a block known as Opuawhanga, near Whangarei. They say that" they were bewildered into signing documents."

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee, having no new evidence before it, repeats the report of last year upon a petition from the same persons, as follows:" That there are four blocks of this name. No. 3 was Crown-granted to Eruera Maki, on the 27th June, 1878, as the sole owner. From him Government bought the land in 1879. No. 2 was Crown-granted to Pita Tunua an [gap — reason: damage] Parore, two of the petitioners, on the 27th June, 1868. It was sold to the Superintendent of Auckland in 1870. In 1872, deeds, then unregistered, were burned when the Government Buildings in Auckland were destroyed by fire. In 1878 Mr. Sheehan, then Native Minister, ordered a new deed to be prepared. This was signed by the grantees. The money paid on the second transfer was £6, merely to pay the expenses of the Natives. This deed specifies the reason why it was renewed, and is in every respect full, explicit, and regular. The Committee cannot recommend that the prayer of the petitioners be granted.

11th July, 1872.

[Translation.]
No. 57 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Pita Tunua me Parore.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana kaore o raua whenua, na he tono ta raua kia karaatitia atu kia 200 eka mo raua i roto i te Poraka o Opuawhanga, e tata ana ki Whangarei. E ki ana raua i whakapohehetia raua kia tuhi i etahi pukapuka.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E wha rawa nga poraka e mau ana taua ingoa kotahi. Ko te nama 3 i Karauna Karaatitia ki a page 11Eruera Maki i to 27 o Hune, 1868; i karaatia ki tona kotahi. Hokona ana e ia ki te Kawanatanga i Maehe i te tau 1879. Ko te nama 2 i karaatitia ki a Pita Tunua raua ko Parore i te 27 o Hune, 1868; tokorua raua he kai-pitihana i naianei. I hokona taua wahi ki te Hupiritenete o Akarana i te tau 1870. I te tau 1872 ka wera i te ahi nga pukapuka-hoko— i mua i te rehitatanga o aua pukapuka—i te weranga o nga Tari Kawanatanga i Akarana. I te tau 1878 i whakahaua e Te Hiana, Minita mo te Taha Maori kia mahia houtia he pukapuka-hoko. I hainatia ano taua pukapuka e nga Kai-hoko. E ono pauna i utua mo te tuhinga i taua pukapuka tuarua, engari i utua enei moni hei whakaea kau i nga moni a nga Maori i pau i to ratou taenga atu ki reira. E whakaatu ana ano taua pukapuka i te take i mahia houtia ai, e marama katoa ana nga kupu, i tika hoki te mahi i taua pukapuka. E kore e ahei te Komiti ki te ki atu kia whakaaetia te inoi a nga kai-pitihana.

11 Hurae, 1882.