Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1882.

[No. 1 of 1882.—Petition of Manehera te Tahamate.]

No. 1 of 1882.—Petition of Manehera te Tahamate.

Petitioner states that the only payment received for the lands of his father—namely, Takapuna, near the Heads—consisted of pipes, iron pots, tobacco, and tomahawks. He prays that the land may be returned to him and his sister, or other recompense given.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That in 1874 the petitioner applied to the Government upon this subject, and was then told that the matter could not be opened, as several generations had passed since the land was sold. From page 4the evidence of Major Te Wheoro it seems that Heteraka Takapuna, along with other chiefs, participated in the payment. All transactions of this kind were then in the hands of the chiefs. The Committee has no recommendation to make.

21st June, 1882.

[Translation.]
No. 1 of 1882.—Pukapuka-inoi a Manehera te Tahamate.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana heoi ano te utu i riro mo nga whenua o tona papa, ara mo Takapuna, e tata ana ki te Puaha, he paipa, he kohua, he tupeka, he patiti. E inoi ana ia kia whakahokia taua whenua ki a raua ko tona tuahine kia utua ketia ranei raua mo taua whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I te tau 1874 i tono te kai-pitihana ki te Kawanatanga mo taua whenua, na kiia atu ana ki a ia i reira e kore e taea te whakapuare taua korero i te mea hoki kua maha nga whakapaparanga o muri nei i te hokonga o taua whenua. I runga i nga korero a Te Wheoro i uru ano a Heteraka Takapuna me etahi ki roto ki nga utu, na nga Rangatira hoki te whakahaere mo era tu hoko o mua. Heoi kaore he kupu a te Komiti.

21 Hune, 1882.