Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 99 of 1881.—Petition of Rawiri Hongi and 36 Others]

No. 99 of 1881.—Petition of Rawiri Hongi and 36 Others.

Petitioners claim to be owners of the Island Motuopao, or Cape Maria Van Diemen, and complain that Government had placed a lighthouse thereon without their consent. They consider that they ought either to receive a rent of £100 per annum, or £1,500 purchase-money.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this island is part of a large tract purchased from the Natives by the Rev. Richard Taylor, and was included in a Crown grant issued to him on the 22nd October, 1844. It afterwards became Crown property, and has never since been alienated. No claim was raised to the land until the lighthouse was erected. The Committee cannot recognize any title to compensation on the part of the petitioners.

5th September, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 99 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi Rawiri Hongi me etahi atu 36.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana na ratou te moutere a Motuopao (ara a Cape Maria Van Diemen), e ki ana hoki kua whakaturia he whare raiti ki reira e te Kawanatanga, kaore hoki i tonoa kia whakaae ratou. E mea ana ratou me hoatu kia £100—i te tau mo te reti, me hoatu ranei kia £1,500—mo te hoko i taua wahi.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I uru taua moutere ki roto ki te hoko a Rihari Teira (minita), i tona hokonga i te whenua nui i reira, a i uru ano hoki ki tona Karauna karaati i te 22 o nga ra o Oketopa, 1844 No muri ka riro i te Karauna a kaore i hokona ketia i muri mai nei. Kaore i puta he tono whaitake mo taua wahi a tae noa ki te tunga o te Raiti. Kaore e taea e te Komiti te whakatika i te tono utu a nga kai-pitihana.

5 Hepetema, 1881.