Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 338 of 1881.—Petition of Wi Kepa te Rangipuawhe and 5 Others]

No. 338 of 1881.—Petition of Wi Kepa te Rangipuawhe and 5 Others.

Petitioners state that they have claims to Kaingaroa Rlock, between Rangitaiki and Rotamahana, which were overlooked by the Land Court when being adjudicated upon. They pray that the lands of their ancestors may not depart to other tribes.

page 24

I am directed to report as follows:—

That this case has been twice heard by the Native Land Court, and there is no provision for another rehearing; but, from the evidence of the Chief Judge, there seems to be ground for a careful investigation by the Government into all the circumstances, to ascertain if there be a grievance, and the Committee would recommend this course.

5th September, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 338 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Wi Kepa te Rangipuawhe me etahi atu 5.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana e whaitake ana ratau ki Kaingaroa, kei waeuganui o Rangitaiki me Rotomahana, kaore i maharatia e te kooti i te whakawakanga. E inoi ana ratou kia kaua e riro atu nga whenua o a ratau tipuna ki etahi atu iwi.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kua tuarua nga whakawakanga o tenei whenua ki te aroaro o te Kooti Whenua Maori, a kaore he huarahi mo tetahi atu whakawa, engari i runga i nga korero a te Tumuaki o nga kai-whakawa, e kitea ana he mea tika kia ata whiriwhiria e te Kawanatanga aua take katoa kia kitea ai mehemea he mate ano ranei, a e whakaaro ana te Komiti me pera te mahi.

5 Hepetema, 1881.