Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 125 of 1881.—Petition of Rewi Koruarua and 9 Others]

No. 125 of 1881.—Petition of Rewi Koruarua and 9 Others.

Petitioners state that in March, 1881, they asked Mr. Mackay to reserve for their use the lands left dry when the waters recede from the lake (Ellesmere) adjoining their lands at Paumute, also an old pa called Whakamata Ruiru; that they further stated to Mr. Mackay that previous to 1848 Mr. Mantell had set apart land for them; that in 1868 a further reserve was made; that, of the 270 acres in all thus reserved, none of the land is good, and the quantity is insufficient for their support. They pray for a grant.

I am directed to report as follows:—

The Committee would recommend that, as an act of grace, the Government should take the case into favourable consideration, so far as the poorer of the people are concerned.

30th August, 1881.
page 23

[Translation.]
No. 125 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Rewi Koruarua me etahi atu 9.

E Ki ana nga kai-pitihana i tonoa e ratou i Maehe, 1881, kia te Make kia tukua kia ratou te whenua e takoto maroke ana e ka mimiti te wai o Waihora e tutata ana ki to ratou whenua i Taumutu, me tetahi pa tawhito ko Whakamata Ruiru, i whakaatu ano hoki ratou kia te Make te whakaritenga whenua ma ratou a te Matara i mua atu i te tau 1848, a i te tau 1868 i rahuitia atu ano etahi whenua, na i roto i aua 270 eka katoa o aua rahui kaore rawa he wahi pai, tetahi he iti rawa hoki aua whenua hei oranga mo ratou. E inoi ana kia karaatitia atu ano etahi.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E tono ana te Komiti me ata whakaaro e te kawanatanga i runga i te atawhai, kia pai ai te whiriwhiri tetahi tikanga mo nga mea rawakore o nga tangata e whakahuatia mai ana e te pitihana.

30 Akuhata, 1881.