Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 326 of 1881.—Petition of Piniha Ratapu]

No. 326 of 1881.—Petition of Piniha Ratapu.

Petitioner states that in 1875 Tokomaru was passed through the Native Land Court by him on behalf of his people, Ngatihau, and that, on referring to the Gazette, he finds his own name omitted in the memorial of ownership, though he is the principal chief of his hapu. He prays that his grievance may be considered and redressed.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That it appears, from a telegram from Mr. Dickey, Registrar of the Court, that "Piniha is a leading owner." The attention of the Chief Judge of the Native Land Court should be called to this matter, so that, if it be a question of accidental omission, the error may be rectified.

26th August, 1881.
page 21

[Translation.]
No. 326 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a Piniha Ratapu.

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana nana i whakahaere te whakawa mo Tokomaru i te Kooti Whenua Maori i te tau 1875 mo runga i te taha ki tona iwi kia Ngatihau, a i runga i tana tirohanga i te Kahiti ka kite ia kua mahue tona ingoa ki waho o te Pukapuka Whakamahara Take, ko ia ano te rangatira o tona hapu. E inoi ana ia kia whiriwhiria tona mate, kia whakaorangia hoki ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I runga i te waea a Tiki te kai-rehita o te Kooti e mea ana ko Piniha tetahi o nga tangata tino whaitake. Me tohutohu atu ki te Tumuaki o nga kai-whakawa o te Kooti Whenua Maori, a mehemea i mahue pohehe tona ingoa, me whakatika inaianei.

26 Akuhata, 1881.