Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 237 of 1881.—Petition of Nepia Taratoa and 22 Others]

page 13

No. 237 of 1881.—Petition of Nepia Taratoa and 22 Others.

Petitioners state that there is a dispute as to the boundary of their land, called Wharerangi, near the mouth of the Manawatu River; they refer to an impression that Wharerangi was included in the Awahou purchase, whilst they had really only leased it to Sir Donald McLean for ten years. Petitioners pray for payment or back rent, and that the land be restored.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That Wharerangi was included in the deed of cession of the Awahou Block, and the Committee has therefore no recommendation to make.

11th August, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 237 of 1881.—Pukapuko-inoi a Nepia Taratoa me etahi atu e 22.

E Ki ana nga kia-pitihana kei te tautohetia te rohe o to ratou whenua, ko Wharerangi te ingoa, e tata ana ki te ngutuawa o te Awa o Manawatu; e ki ana ratou na etahi whakaaro i hanga i uru ai a Wharerangi ki roto ki te hoko o Awahou, otiia i riihi kautia e ratou ki a Te Makarini mo nga tau kotahi te kau. E inoi ana nga kia-pitihana kia utua kia ratou nga reti o nga tau kua hori ake nei, a kia whakahokia ano to ratou whenua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I uru a Wharerangi ki roto ki te pukapuka Hoko o te Poraka o Awahou, heoi kaore he kupu a te Komiti.

11 Akuhata, 1881.