Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1881.

[No. 97 of 1881.—Petition of H. K. Taiaroa (No. 1)]

No. 97 of 1881.—Petition of H. K. Taiaroa (No. 1).

Petitioner states that in 1880 he petitioned the House, but the Native Affairs Committee had not page 6reported according to his wishes; he again prays for £400 and interest, and that all the evidence and papers be published.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That upon a similar petition from the same gentleman brought before the House last year the Committee reported as follows: "That, according to his own evidence, the delay in the payment of the £4,000 arose entirely from the refusal of Mr. Taiaroa (the petitioner) to get from the parties interested a receipt in full settlement of claims as agreed upon, and that, as acknowledged by him, this delay was with a view of forcing Government to pay another £1,000. The Committee, therefore, cannot recommend the prayer of the petition to be granted."

No new evidence whatever has been adduced on the present inquiry, and the Committee would simply reaffirm the above report.

22nd July, 1881.

[Translation.]
No. 97 of 1881.—Pukapuka-inoi a H. K. Taiaroa (Nama 1).

E Ki ana te kai-pitihana i pitihana ia ki te whare i te tau, 1880, erangi ko te whakataunga a te Komiti mo nga mea Maori kihai i tika ki runga ki tana i hiahia ai, no reira ka inoi ano ia mo te £400 me nga hua o runga, a tetahi, kia panuitia katoa nga korero me nga pukapuka.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I whakatau ano te Komiti i runga i tetahi pitihana penei i tukua mai e te kai-pitihana ki te whare i te tau kua mahue ake nei; i penei taua whakatau: "I runga ano i nga korero a Taiaroa, ko te take i roa ai te £4,000 e puta ana, nana tonu, na te kai-pitihana i kore e whakaae ki te mea i nga tangata e pa ana ki aua moni kia tuhi i tetahi pukapuka whakaae i te rironga o aua moni, i te mea ano hoki kua oti te whakaae hei utunga whakamutunga tera mo aua kereme; e ki ana ano hoki a Taiaroa ko te take i whakaroa ai ia i taua mea he mea nana kia utu ano te Kawanatanga i tetahi atu £1,000. Heoi no reira e kore e whakahau te Komiti kia whakaaetia te inoi a te kai-pitihana."

Kaore ano he korero hou i puta ake i roto i tenei whiriwhiringa; heoi ta te Komiti he whakahua ano i te whakataunga i runga ake nei.

22 Hurae, 1881.