Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 229, Session II.—Petition of Karanama te Uamaungapohatu and 128 Other.]

No. 229, Session II.—Petition of Karanama te Uamaungapohatu and 128 Other.

Petitioners state that in accordance with Maori customs they are entitled to certain blocks of land in the Tauranga District. That Sir George Grey wrote to Mr. Wilson, Commissioner, which letter was shown to the petitioners, and which restricted them from selling their land. They pray that an Act may be passed enabling them to sell or lease land as they may think fit.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would just justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

12th December 1879.
page 31

[Translation.]
No. 229, Session II.—Te Pitihana a Karanama te Uamaungapohatu me etahi atu 128.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana i runga i nga take Maori kei te whai-take ratou ki etahi poraka whenua i te takiwa o Tauranga. I tuhi a Ta Hori Kerei ki a Te Wirihaua Komihana ko taua reta i whakaaturia ki nga kai-pitihana he here i o ratou whenua kei hokona e ratou. E inoi ana ratou kia hangaia he ture whakamana i a ratou ki te hoko ki te riihi ranei i o ratou whenua i runga i o ratou whakaaro ano.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti mo te poto o te takiwa i a ratou hei tirotirohanga e tika ai te whakatau kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

12 Tihema 1879.