Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 243, Session II.—Petition of George Timothy Stephenson.]

No. 243, Session II.—Petition of George Timothy Stephenson.

Petitioner states that in April, 1877, he commenced negotiations with certain Natives of Maketu District for a lease of part of Rangiuru Block; that before the land passed the Court the block was proclaimed by the Government as being under negotiation, thereby excluding petitioner from finishing his bargain with the Natives. He also states that he was offered £250 by the then Native Minister by way of compromise, which he refused, as he estimated his loss at £1,500. He has since agreed to accept the £250, but has, as yet, not been able to obtain it.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That, from the testimony of the late Minister for Native Affairs, it appears that a sum of £250 was offered in settlement of the petitioner's claims, and that the petitioner is now willing to accept that amount; and the Committee recommends that the Government pay this amount if the petitioner will receive it in full settlement.

12th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 243, Session II.—Te Pitihana a Teoti Timoti Tiwinihana.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana i timata ia ki te whakarite ki etahi Maori o Maketu mo te riihi o tetahi wahi o te Poraka o Rangiuru. Na kaore ano kia Kootitia taua whenua ka panui heretia e te Kawanatanga no reira kore ana e oti ana whakaritenga ko nga Maori. Na e ki ana ia i mea te Minita mo te taha Maori o taua takiwa kia hoatu ki a ia kia £250 hei whakaoti i te taha ki a ia kaore ia i whakaae no te mea ko tona ruihi ki tana whakaaro e £1,500. Kua whakaae ia i muri nei ki te tango i te £250 engari kaore ano i riro.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

I runga i nga korero a te Minita mo te taha Maori kua mutu ake nei i meatia atu ano kia hoatu e £250 hei whakarite mo nga take o te kai-pitihana a e pai ana ia inaianei ki te tango i aua moni. E mea ana te Komiti kia utua e te Kawanatanga aua moni mehemea e pai ana te kai-pitihana ki te tango i taua moni hei utu mo ona take katoa.

12 Tihema 1879.