Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 45, Session II.—Petition of Michael Mulooly.]

No. 45, Session II.—Petition of Michael Mulooly.

The petitioner states that in the month of August, 1875, he purchased from certain Natives named in the petition a piece of land called Mangaroa No. 2, in the Poverty Bay District; that he spent £1,300 in improving the said land; that it was always admitted by the aforesaid Natives that he had fairly purchased the said land; that, in consequence of a Proclamation caused to be issued by John Alexander Wilson, Esq., Land Purchase Commissioner, stating that the Government intended to acquire such lands, the title of the petitioner has been seriously damaged and prejudiced; and that the petitioner has suffered loss to the extent of £6,000. He therefore prays that he may be declared to be the owner of the said land, or that compensation be granted to him.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

12th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 45, Session II.—Te Pitihana a Maikera Maruri.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana no te marama o Akuhata, 1875, ka hokona e ia i etahi Maori e whakahuatia ana i roto i te pitihana tetahi piihi whenua ko Mangaroa No. 2, kei roto i te takiwa o Papatu Pei; £1,300 ana moni i pau ki te whakapai i taua whenua a me te ki tonu a nga Maori he tika tonu tana hoko i taua whenua. Na no runga i tetahi panui i tukua e Te Wirihana Komihana hoko whenua penei ko te hiahia o te Kawanatanga ko te hoko i aua whenua. Ka pa rawa he raru nui ki te hoko a te kai-pitihana a ko ana moni i ruihi tae atu ki te £6,000. No reira ka inoi ia kia whakatuturutia ko ia te tangata nona taua whenua. Kia tukua ranei he utu ki a ia.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti mo te poto o te takiwa i a ratou hei tirotirohanga e tika ai te whakatau kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

12 Tihema 1879.