Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 345, Session II.—Petition of Tini Waata Pakihi and 5 Others.]

No. 345, Session II.—Petition of Tini Waata Pakihi and 5 Others.

Petitioners state that during the year 1864 the Natives in arms against the Queen destroyed their food and burnt their houses down, destroyed their canoes, cooking utensils, agricultural implements, to the value of £853 13s. When Mr. James Fulloon was murdered at Whakatane the rebel Natives burnt their schooner "Te Maruiwi," which cost them £366. They also paid £140 for repairing the vessel, making a total cost of £506. In 1865 the Government issued a Proclamation stating that all losses sustained during the war would be inquired into, and a settlement made. That Major Mair and Commissioner Wilson investigated their claim, and sent the particulars to Wellington, where it appears to have remained.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

11th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 345, Session II.—Te Pukapuka-inoi a Tini Waata Pakihi me etahi atu.

E ki ana nga kai-inoi no te takiwa i mau patu ai nga Maori ki te Kuini i te tau 1864, na aua Maori i page 26tango a ratou kai, i tahu a ratou whare, i wawahi a ratou waka me nga kohua me nga kaheru, tae atu ki te £853 13s. te utu o aua mea. No te kohurutanga o James Fulloon i Whakatane, tahuna ana to ratou kaipuke "Te Maruiwi," ko te utu o taua kaipuke e £366 a tae ana ki te £140 mo te whakapai i taua kaipuke a huihuia e £506. I te tau 1865 ka puta te panui a te Kawanatanga ko nga taonga katoa e ngaro ana i te whawhai ka ata tirotirohia ka whakaritea. Na whakawakia ana e Meiha Mea me te Wirihana Komihana to ratou tono a tukua atu ana nga korero katoa ki Poneke heoi ngaro tonu atu.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti mo te poto o te takiwa i a ratou hei tirotirohanga ma ratou e tika ai te whakatau kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

11 Tihema 1879.