Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 337, Session II.—Petition of Kati Pahi and 17 Others.]

No. 337, Session II.—Petition of Kati Pahi and 17 Others.

Petitioners pray that attention be given to their wants relative to Stewart Island—that a Commissioner may be appointed to inquire into the grievances of the Murihiku people and petitioners. In 1864 Mr. Clarke made a report, which they pray may be set aside, as it was only written in the presence of a few, and the names of certain people were wrongfully included, as they did not belong to the Murihiku people. Some of the petitioners who had a claim to the Island have been excluded. They urge that the Crown grants may be issued immediately after adjustment.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

11th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 337, Session II.—Te Pitihana a Kati Pahi me etahi atu 17.

E inoi ana nga kai-pitihana kia whakaarohia o ratou take ki nga Moutere-titi. Kia whakaturia he Komihana hei tirotiro i nga mate o nga tangata o Murihiku. I te tau 1864 ka whakataua e te Karaka, a e inoi ana ratou kia whakakorea no te mea i tuhia ki te aroaro o te tokoiti—na whakaurua ana etahi ki roto e hara nei i te iwi o Murihiku, a ko etahi o nga kai-pitihana i whai take ki aua Moutere i waiho ki waho. E inoi ana ratou kia tere te whakaputa i nga Karauna karaati i muri tonu i te whakawakanga.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti mo te poto o te takiwa ia ratou hei tirotirohanga ma ratou e tika ai te whakatau kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

11 Tihema 1879.