Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 296, Session II.—Petition of G. P. Mutu and 20 Others.]

No. 296, Session II.—Petition of G. P. Mutu and 20 Others.

Petitioners state that they have seen that an Act is to be passed vesting their lands in other persons. There is also another Act being passed regulating the Maori vote. The first-mentioned Act will never suit the Maori race, because they are able to look after their own affairs. With regard to the second Act, they never asked to be placed upon European rolls—it was the Europeans who placed them there; and therefore they have a right to be left on. They ask for the Act which provides for the Maori votes being left as it is.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

11th December 1879.
page 24

[Translation.]
No. 296, Session II.—Te Pitihana a G. P. Mutu me etahi atu e 20.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana kua kite ratou e mahia ana tetahi Ture hei tuku atu i o ratou whenua ki etahi tangata, me tetahi atu ano Ture whakahaere i te pooti Maori. E kore rawa e pai te Ture tuatahi mo nga Maori no te mea e ahei tonu ana te Maori ki te tiaki i ana mea. Na mo te Ture tuarua e hara i te mea na ratou i tono kia tuhia ratou ki te rouru pakeha, na nga pakeha ano i whakanoho ki reira heoi e tika ana kia mau tonu. E tono ana ratou kia waiho tonu te Ture mo te pooti Maori.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti i te poto o te takiwa i a ratou hei tirotirohanga ma ratou e tika ai te whakatau i tetahi kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

11 Tihema 1879.