Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 160, Session II.—Petition of Te Oti Pita Mutu and 25 Others (No. 1).]

No. 160, Session II.—Petition of Te Oti Pita Mutu and 25 Others (No. 1).

The petitioners state that the Native Land Court of 1868 conceded to them certain lakes as fishing reserves. They ask that all the land in the following named lakes should be given to them: Ohuapounamu, Torotoroa, and Waimaiaia; for the following reasons: That, in consequence of the provisions of the deed of sale from Ngaitahu in 1848, the Court considered that they were entitled to the eel fisheries. Four reserves were made—one of twenty acres (Torotoroa), one of fifteen acres (Ohuapounamu), one of ten acres (Waimaiaia), one of ten acres (Rakahuri). These reserves were vested permanently as fishing-grounds. That petitioners derived great sustenance from the eels, flounders, and inangas they caught there. They never had to buy meat, in consequence of the abundance of the fish. The Europeans, to benefit themselves, have drained the lakes, and the eels and other fish have all died. They now have to buy meat from Europeans. The Rangiora Road Board drained the lakes. The petitioners requested them not to do so, but the members of the Board threatened them with an action. They consulted Mr. Rolleston, and he said they were right, but they could not interfere with the drainage law. The petitioners proceed at great length to urge their claims to consideration at the hands of the House.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

11th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 160, Session II.—Te Pukapuka-inoi a Te Oti Pita Mutu me etahi atu e 25 (No. 1).

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana na te Kooti whenua Maori i whakatau ki a ratou i te tau 1860 etahi roto hei rahui hiinga ika ma ratou. E tono ana ratou ko te whenua i roto i nga moana ka whakahuatia ake nei me hoatu ki a ratou ara: Ohuapounamu, Torotoroa, me Waimaiaia—te take mo runga i nga tikanga o roto i te pukapuka-hoko a Ngaitahu i te tau 1848, i mea te Kooti e tika ana ratou ki nga wai-tuna, whakataua ana nga rahui e 20 eka o Torotoroa, 15 eka o Ohuapounamu, 10 eka o Waimaiaia, 10 eka o Rakahuri. Ko enei rahui i whakataua hei wahi tuturu hei hiinga ika mo ratou. Ka nui te ora o nga kai-pitihana i nga tuna, i nga patiki, me nga manga e mau ana i reira, kaore ratou e hoko miiti ana i te nui o te ika. Na ko nga pakeha mo te pai ano ki a ratou kua tuku i te wai o aua roto a kua mate nga tuna me etahi atu ika heoi kua tahuri ratou inaianei ki te hoko i te miiti a te pakeha. Na te Rori Poati o Rangiora i keri kia puta te wai o aua roto tono noa ratou kia kaua heoi ano te ki mai a nga tangata o taua Poati kia hamenetia ratou. I whai kupu ratou ki a te Roretana ki ana ia e tika ana ratou engari kaua e araitia nga ture keri awa. He roa nga korero a nga kai-pitihana ki a whakaarohia o ratou take e te Whare.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti mo te poto o te takiwa i a ratou hei tirotirohanga pai ma ratou e tika ai te whakatau kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

11 Tihema 1879.