Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 159, Session II.—Petition of Taraiti Tamaki and Others.]

No. 159, Session II.—Petition of Taraiti Tamaki and Others.

The prayer of the petitioners is that they may have a block of land called Opuatai returned to them. It had been wrongfully given away to the Ngatitipa. The petitioners were in Court in the year 1866, when the land in question was adjudicated upon. The Court did not heed their protests, but said that the petitioners had no claim, because they had taken up arms. Petitioners say they were on the ground in 1863, and the Native Land Court sat in 1866. They have persistently maintained their rights from that time down to the present.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee regret that the time at their disposal has not been sufficient to enable them to make such inquiries as would justify them in reporting an opinion on the subject-matter of this petition.

11th December 1879.
page 22

[Translation.]
No. 159, Session II.—Te Pukapuka-inoi a Taraiti Tamaki me etahi atu.

Ko te inoi a nga kai-pitihana he mea kia whakahokia ki a ratou tetahi whenua ko Opuatai te ingoa. I tukua hetia kia Ngatitipa. I te Kooti ano nga kai-pitihana i te tau 1866 i te whakawakanga i taua whenua, na kihai i whakarongo te Kooti ki ta ratou whakahe erangi i ki kaore he take o nga kai-pitihana no te mea kua mau pa ratou. E ki ana nga kai-pitihana kua noho ratou ki runga ki taua whenua i te tau 1863 a no te tau 1866 katahi ka noho te Kooti. Nui tonu to ratou tohe ki o ratou paanga a tae mai ki naianei.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

E pouri ana te Komiti mo te poto o te takiwa i a ratou hei tirotirohanga pai ma ratou e tika ai ratou te whakatau kupu mo runga i nga putake korero o roto i tenei pitihana.

11 Tihema 1879.