Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 251, Session II.—Petition of Hone Rutene and 54 Others.]

No. 251, Session II.—Petition of Hone Rutene and 54 Others.

Petitioners state that they served in every engagement during Heke's war in 1845, assisting the Queen's troops to subdue the rebels; that many of their friends were shot by the rebels, and they never claimed compensation; that they came from the South of New Zealand, and never owned any land in the district; but they are living on other persons' land, and may be turned away at any moment. Having children, they are anxious to leave them land before they die. They pray that a small grant of land may be made to themselves and children.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Government be requested to institute an inquiry at as early a date as possible, and, if it be found that the statement of the petitioners be accurate, that a provision be made of a fair allotment of land proportionate to their services and wants; and, if possible, such allotment to be in the neighbourhood of Kawakawa.

4th December 1879.

[Translation.]
No. 251, Session II.—Te Pukapuka-inoi a Hone Rutene me etahi atu e 54.

E ki ana nga kai-pitihana i uru ratou ki nga whawhai katoa a Heke i te tau 1845 ki te awhina i nga hoia a te Kuini kia mate ai nga hoa-riri. He maha o ratou hoa i mate i te hoa-riri kihai ano ratou kia tono utu. I haere mai ratou i te taha ki runga o Niu Tireni a kaore o ratou whenua i roto i te takiwa e noho nei ratou, engari e noho ana ratou i runga i nga whenua o etahi a e taea noatia atu ana ratou te pana. He tamariki a ratou i naianei e hiahia ana ratou kia mahue he whenua ki nga tamariki i mua ake o to ratou matenga. Na e inoi ana ratou kia karaatitia atu he whenua iti nei mo ratou me a ratou tamariki.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Kia tonoa atu te Kawanatanga kia wawe te rapu i tenei mea, a kite kitea e tika ana te korero a nga kai-pitihana me whakarite ano he tikanga tuku atu i tetahi wahi whenua e tika ana mo a ratou mahi, ko taua whenua ana taea me takoto i te takiwa o te Kawakawa.

4 Tihema 1879.