Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 41, Session I.—Petition of Thomas Hawkins Smith.]

No. 41, Session I.—Petition of Thomas Hawkins Smith.

The petitioner states that, in 1869, he made an agreement to lease from the Native owners certain flax lands in the neighbourhood of Maketu, but that the lease was never executed, owing to the action taken by the Government agents for the purchase of the said lands. The petitioner then enters into lengthy details of correspondence and negotiations with the Native Department and Government agents, extending over many years. He now, as he alleges, petitions for compensation in accordance with the recommendation of the Native Minister.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Government seems to have fully inquired into the allegations of the petition, and this Committee sees no reason for reopening the subject.

7th November 1879.

Translation.
No. 41, Session I.—Pukapuka-inoi a Tamati Hokini Mete.

E ki ana te kai-pitihana no te tau 1869 ka whakaae ia ki te riihi i etahi whenua harakeke i nga Maori ake nona, ko aua whenua nei e takoto ana i te takiwa o Maketu. Na kihai i taea te whakaoti taua riihi i runga i te whakahaere a nga Apiha a te Kawanatanga mo te hoko o aua whenua. He roa nga korero a te kai-pitihana mo ana tuhituhinga ki te Tari Maori me a ratou whakaritenga ko nga Apiha a te Kawanatanga a maha noa atu nga tau e pera ana. Na e tono ana ia i naianei kia whakaorangia ia i runga i nga kupu whakahau a te Minita mo te taha Maori.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

No te mea kua tino rapua e te Kawanatanga nga take o roto i te pitihana a kaore e kitea e tenei Komiti he tikanga kia whakatuwheratia ano taua korero.

Noema 7, 1879.