Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1879, No. 2.

[No. 23 of 1878.—Petition of Henry Alley.]

No. 23 of 1878.—Petition of Henry Alley.

The petitioner, who is a European, states that in the year 1872 he entered into negotiations for the lease of a block of land in the Upper Thames Valley, and subsequently obtained it from the Native owners. That his occupation of the said leasehold was objected to by the Government Agents, Messrs. Clarke and Puckey, and that his cattle were driven off by Natives, at the instigation, as he believes, of the said Government Agents. Petitioner prays that his statement may be investigated by persons unconnected with the Native Department, and that he may be reinstated in possession of his lease-hold, and that such other relief may be given him as the House may deem fit.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the petitioner's case was fully inquired into in 1875 by the Public Petitions Committee, and was reported on as follows:—"That the petitioner has no claim whatever against the Government on account of any loss which he may have sustained in consequence of being unable to obtain possession of the land in question." No fresh evidence having been submitted by the petitioner, the Committee are not of opinion that they would be justified in reviewing the decision of the Public Petitions Committee, and have, therefore, no further recommendation to make on the subject.

3rd October 1879.

Translation.
No. 23 of1878.—Te Pukapuka-inoi a Henry Alley.

He pakeha tenei kai-inoi e ki ana ia i timataria e ia i te tau 1872, tetahi whakariteritenga mo tetahi riihi whenua i roto o Hauraki, muri iho ka tukua taua riihi ki a ia e nga tangata no ratou taua wahi. Ko tana noho ki runga ki taua wahi i whakahengia o nga Apiha o te Kawanatanga, are, e te Karaka raua ko te Paki, a ko ana kau i panaia e nga Maori i nga kupu akiaki, ki tona whakaaro ia, a aua Apiha o te Kawanatanga. E tono ana te kai-inoi, kia kimihia ana korero e tetahi tangata e hara nei i te Apiha o te Tari Maori, a kia whakanohoia ano ia ki runga ki te whenua i riihitia e ia, a kia whakawhiwhia ia ki te oranga ngakau e tika ana ki to te Whare whakaaro.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei:—

Ko te korero a te kai-inoi kua matua tirotirohia i te tau 1875 e te Komiti mo nga Pitihana a nga tangata katoa, a penei ana te whakatau:—"Kaore rawa atu e whai-take te kai-inoi kia whakaarohia e te Kawanatanga, i runga i tona mate mo tona kore kaore i ahei ki te eke atu ki runga ki te whenua o korerotia nei noho ai." Kaore ano he korero hou i whakaputaina mai e te kai-inoi, no reira o whakaaro ana te Komiti e kore e tika ratou ki te hoki atu ki runga ki te whakataunga a te Komiti mo nga Pitihana a nga tangata katoa—mahi tikanga ai. Heoi kaore he kupu tohutohu mo tenei korero.

Oketopa 3, 1879.