Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of Hoani Kerei and Others]

Report on Petition of Hoani Kerei and Others.

Petitioners pray that the lands at Whakatane taken for the sins of the people (i.e. confiscated) may be returned to them, as the people who murdered Mr. Volkner and Mr. James Fulloon are hung, and those who fought against the Queen have been taken prisoners and punished.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the consideration of the request made by the petitioners for the restoration of confiscated land involves a large question of policy, and the Committee do not deem it desirable that they should express an opinion on the subject.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

30th October, 1877.

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi a Hoani Kerei me etahi atu.

Ko nga kai-inoi e inoi ana ko nga whenua i tangohia mo nga hara o te iwi me whakahoki kia ratou, notemea ko nga tangata na ratou i kohuru a te Wakana raua ko Hemi te Mautaranui kua tarewatia, a ko nga tangata katoa i whawhai ki a te Kuini kua riro herehere kua whiua.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Ko te whiriwhiri mo te tono a nga Kai-inoi kia whakahokia atu nga whenua i riro i te raupatu, he mea pakeke, a e kore te Komiti e ahei te whakapuaki whakakaaro mo taua mea.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 30, 1877.