Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Reports of the Native Affairs Committee, 1877.

[Report on Petition of the Ngatitoa Tribe]

Report on Petition of the Ngatitoa Tribe.

This is a petition presented last session, and referred back, in consequence of the Native Affairs Committee of last year not having reported an opinion to the House.

The petitioners, who are members of the Ngatitoa tribe, allege that, at or after the purchase of lands in the neighbourhood of Wellington, Sir George Grey promised that certain reserves should be made for the Natives, and that these promises have not been carried out.

I am directed to report as follows:—

That the Committee, having taken the evidence of Mr. Clarke, of the Native Office, on this petition, are of opinion that it should be made the subject of inquiry by the Government, and that such redress be afforded as the petitioners maybe found entitled to; and, further, that should the petitioners be found entitled to receive land, that it ought to be awarded at such place or places as may be deemed most suitable, and not necessarily in the situations originally promised or selected.

John Bryce,
Chairman.

26th October, 1877.
page 36

[Translation.]
Ko te kupu a te Komiti mo runga i te Pukapuka-inoi te a iwi o Ngatitoa.

Ko tenei pukapuka-inoi no tera tau i tukua mai ai a i whakahokia mai ki te Komiti notemea kahore te Komiti o tera tau i whai kupu tuturu ki te Whare:—

No Ngatitoa nga kai-inoi, e ki ana ratou i te wa i hokona ai nga whenua e tata ana ki Poneke i muri iho ranei, i whakaae a Ta Hori Kerei kia whakaritea etahi porowhita mo nga Maori a ko aua whakaaetanga kahore ano kia ea noa.

Kua whakahaua ahau kia ki penei atu ki te Whare:—

Kua rangona e te Komiti te korero a Te Karaka, o te Tari Maori, mo runga i tenei pukapuka-inoi, a e whakaaro ana te Komiti ma te Kawanatanga e ui nga tikanga o tenei mea a me hoatu ki nga kai-inoi era painga e kitea ai e whai tikanga ai ratou, a mehemea ka kitea e tika ana ki whiwhi nga kai-inoi ki te whenua me hoatu ki te wahi ki nga wahi ranei e pai ai mo nga kai-inoi, kaua e meatia rawatia ki nga wahi i kiia ai hei takotoranga mo aua whenua i te tuatahi.

John Bryce,
Tumuaki.

Oketopa 26, 1877.